Love the Environment, Ride Your Bike, be Healthy

As Earth Day approaches, Rose Hill Elementary staff, alumni and community members took a moment to honor a former teacher, who was also a strong advocate for protecting our environment. Cass Avery was a teacher at Rose Hill Elementary for over 10 years.

School Library Month in LWSD

Throughout April, librarians across the district will hold special events in celebration of School Library Month.



Between District Transfers

Public school students in Washington state may request a transfer from their “home” district, where they reside, to attend school in another public school district, where they do not reside. That is known as an inter-district transfer or out-of-district transfer.

How to transfer into Lake Washington School District

Students from other school districts can apply for an inter-district transfer if they want to attend a school in Lake Washington School District. These transfers are approved on a space available basis, after transfers within the district have been accommodated. Please check the Closed Schools List to determine which schools are closed to transfer.

How to apply

  • Go to the school district office of your home school district to get a Choice Transfer form.
  • Fill out the form and turn it in to the home school district.
  • A designated person from that district will sign the form to release your student or will inform you that the transfer has been denied. If approved, they will send the signed form to Lake Washington School District.
  • New requests from out-of-district students will be placed on waiting lists by date of request.
  • Lake Washington School District will notify you whether your request has been accepted or the transfer is denied.
  • Students outside the district will be placed after the in-district students are accommodated.
  • Requests will be considered for approval in late August.

When to apply

  • You can apply any time after January 1 for the next school year.

How to renew

  • Pick up a transfer form from your resident school district.
  • A transfer form must be completed and submitted each year that your student wants to attend an LWSD school.

How to transfer out of Lake Washington School District

We are sorry to see you go but understand that sometimes individual students need specific programs this district does not offer. To attend school in another public school district, you must also apply for a transfer.

Steps to take when transferring out of LWSD

  • Contact the school district for the school you would like your student to attend to learn when Choice Transfer applications are accepted.
  • Fill out the appropriate form below. Note: This needs to be done each year that your student wants to transfer out of a LWSD school.
    • To apply to attend school full-time outside of LWSD, print the Choice Transfer Form or pick one up at the District Office.
    • To apply to attend school part-time outside of LWSD, print the Inter District Transfer Form or pick one up at the District Office.
  • Submit the completed transfer request form to LWSD at the address below.
    In person:
    Pam Brown
    LWSD Resource Center
    16250 NE 74th St., Redmond
    By mail:
    Lake Washington School District
    c/o Pam Brown
    PO Box 97039
    Redmond, WA 98073
  • Lake Washington School District will determine if your request will be approved. If so, the form will be signed and sent to the district you want your student to attend.
  • The new school district will notify you if the transfer has been approved.