If you live in Lake Washington School District (LWSD) and your child will be five years old on or before August 31, 2019, it is time to register them for Kindergarten.




    Welcome to Lake Washington School District!

    Lake Washington serves about 29,000 students in 52 schools. Our students live in Kirkland, Redmond, Sammamish and portions of Bellevue, Woodinville and unincorporated King County. The following steps will provide you with all the information and forms you need to register your child.

    Steps to register new students (grades 1-12)

    1. Determine your neighborhood school

    Students must register at their "home" or neighborhood school, according to the attendance boundaries. Go to school and bus finder for information on what your “home” schools are, including elementary, middle school and high school, based on your address. If you need assistance determining which school your student will attend, please contact the Lake Washington School District transportation department at 425-936-1120.

    2. Documents to bring

    Schools require the following to register:

    • Proof of child's birth date, such as a birth certificate or passport
    • Proof of residency (such as an energy bill with your current address, lease agreement, or mortgage statement)
    • Records of Immunizations — students must meet state immunization requirements. Bring proof of immunization from your family physician or a local health department. The parent or guardian then transfers this information to a certificate of immunization and signs the certificate to verify its accuracy.
    • Emergency card — the parent or guardian fills out this form during registration. Bring information such as the student's birth date, address and home phone, mother and father's employer and work phone numbers, name and phone number of emergency contacts other than parent/guardian (ideally this person or people will live near the student), student's doctor's name and phone number, names of any medications student takes and any medical condition student may have.
    • Consent for Exchange of Information (if applicable) — If a student is transferring from another school, the parent or guardian must give their consent to transfer records from the student's previous school. It is helpful if the parent brings the name, address and phone number of the previous school.
    • Transcript or Academic History (if applicable) — Students transferring from another school should bring academic records. The school may also ask if the student has been in any special programs in their previous school such as English Language Learner, special reading program, etc.

    Schools enroll students based on age. For example, according to Washington State's uniform entry age, a child must be six years of age as of midnight, August 31, of the year of entry to be entitled to enter first grade.

    Some schools may have additional registration requirements. For further information, call the school directly. Some schools, particularly high schools, require that parents or students phone ahead for an appointment to register.

    3. Forms to complete

    You can print and complete the following forms to bring with you at registration:

    4. Additional information for families

    Kindergarten Registration

    Learn how to register your child for kindergarten.

    Home-based instruction (homeschooling)

    Declaration of Intent to Provide Home-Based Instruction must be filed annually
    If you are a family who intends to provide your child or children home-based instruction in lieu of attendance or enrollment in a public school, an approved private school, or an extension program of an approved private school, you must file an annual declaration of intent to do so. Download the Declaration of Intent to Provide Home School Instruction here, or visit the district’s Resource Center (third floor) to obtain a copy.

    If partial Home School Instruction is requested, please also fill out the Request for Part-Time Attendance form. For additional information, please contact Pam Brown or Rick Burden.

    Attending a school other than the assigned neighborhood school

    Students who live in the district
    Students who live within the district can apply for a variance to another school, if there is space available at that other school. See the Closed Schools List to determine where there is space available. For more information about transferring between schools within Lake Washington School District, contact your neighborhood school.

    Students who live outside the district
    If a student lives outside the district, they may attend Lake Washington School District schools, if those schools are open. A Choice Transfer application (also known as between district transfer application) is required and space must be available at the school the student wants to attend. If the desired school is listed as open, the Choice Transfer application must be obtained and turned in to the home district in which the family lives to initiate the process. A student living in Lake Washington School District may also attend a different public school district if space is available there. Both types of transfer require the Choice Transfer application. For more information on transfers between districts, contact Pam Brown at 425-936-1283. Learn more about between district transfers here.