New Seasons and a New Sport for Middle School Athletics in 2018-19
Middle school sport seasons are changing for the 2018-19 school year so there will be at least one sport every season for every gender and every grade.
- Season One, which runs from September 10 through October 26, will feature boys and girls cross country, boys tennis, and boys basketball.
- Season Two runs from October 29 through December 21 and will include girls badminton and boys soccer.
- Intramurals will be run at each school from January 7 to February 1. Specific activities for intramurals are determined by each school.
- Season Three begins on February 5 and ends on March 29 with girls basketball, and boys and girls wrestling.
- Season Four starts April 15 and concludes June 7 and consists of boys and girls track & field, girls volleyball, and girls tennis.
These changes come from recommendations following a two-year study of the middle school athletic program which were informed by several student surveys. The study group was tasked with making recommendations to address equity in athletic programming, capacity issues with court sports, and transportation costs.
Soccer is being added as a boys sport since boys are underrepresented in middle school athletics and the district has a responsibility under Title IX to take action to address equity in athletic programming.
The four court sports were shifted to different season to increase capacity for those sports and to ensure that all grades can participate (currently sixth graders participate in basketball and volleyball in alternate seasons).
Additionally, the new season schedule creates greater opportunity to align bus transportation between teams which will help to offset rising transportation costs.
Each team will compete six times, except for track and cross country which have four competitions, plus a jamboree or culminating event.
Students can register for fall sports when their middle school athletic office re-opens in August.