The forms, rules and information students need to participate in LWSD athletic programs
The primary purpose of our secondary schools is to academically prepare students for graduation, so they become productive citizens. However, Lake Washington School District (LWSD) is aware of the important role interscholastic athletics play in the development of students. Therefore, scholastic incentives have been established and are enforced for the educational and personal welfare of students who participate in athletics.
As members of the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA), LWSD must follow all standards set by WIAA. Academic eligibility standards, as outlined in WIAA Rule 18.7.0 requires students to maintain passing grades in:
- 3 classes in a 4-period class schedule
- 4 classes in a 5-period class schedule
- 5 classes in a 6-period class schedule
- 6 classes in a 7-period class schedule
- 7 classes in an 8-period class schedule
- Incomplete (I) grades are considered non-numerical grades. Students have 2 weeks to complete required work; if not, an F is issued and the student-athlete becomes ineligible.
- Schools will monitor a student’s continued academic eligibility with periodic grade checks. Students deemed to be ineligible will be allowed to practice but not to participate in contests until eligibility status is restored.
- For more information, see the complete LWSD Academic Eligibility Criteria.
Additionally, to be eligible to participate in any LWSD athletic program, a student must pay all fines, return all equipment/uniforms from previous sports and complete the following requirements:
- Purchase an ASB card
- Read the School Athletic Policy
- Pay the participation fee
- Fill out, sign and turn in all required forms
Fees are collected on a per sport basis with both individual and family caps. The family caps will apply for brothers/sisters who attend the same school. Fees must be paid at the time of turnout and will be so noted on the clearance form approved by the school bookkeeper or secretary. Secondary school parents can pay student fees online.
Parents of students who are unable to afford the fee should complete a Sports Fee Waiver Request Form and contact the coach or athletic director at their school.
100% refund will be provided under the following conditions:
- Student is cut from the squad by the coach
- Student quits due to illness or injury prior to first contest
- Student quits due to family moving prior to first contest
Refunds must be requested prior to the end of the sports season.
- Middle School Athletic Forms
Includes the Sports Physical Examination Clearance form, Athletics Emergency Information form, and Student/Parent Concussion and Sudden Cardiac Arrest Awareness form. Sign and return this packet after reading the Concussion Information Sheet and Sudden Cardiac Arrest Information Sheet.
- Athletic/Activities Conduct Code
Read the Athletic/Activities Conduct Code. Then, certify it has been read and understood by the parents and the athlete by placing your initials on the "Athlete Drug, Alcohol, Tobacco, Hazing & Conduct Codes" line near the bottom of the Physical Examination Clearance Form.
- Middle School Intramural Registration
Students need to register for each intramural season at the school. Contact the school directly for information regarding registration dates.
- Sports Participation Fee Waiver Request Form for middle school students
- Sport-specific Liability Forms
Badminton | Basketball | Cross Country | Soccer | Tennis
Track and Field | Volleyball | Wrestling
- Student Accident and Health Insurance (optional)
Information about optional student accident and health insurance coverage.
Participation information for Choice School students
Students who attend one of the LWSD Choice Schools may participate in athletic programs at their resident middle school or high school.
If you have any additional questions, contact your school's Athletic Office for assistance.