Lake Washington School District (LWSD) was accepted today into the League of Innovative Schools, a national coalition of forward-thinking K-12 school districts organized by Digital Promise, a nonprofit organization with the mission to accelerate innovation in education and improve the opportunity to learn for all through technology and research.
The forms, rules and information students need to participate in LWSD athletic programs
The primary purpose of our secondary schools is to academically prepare students for graduation, so they become productive citizens. However, Lake Washington School District (LWSD) is aware of the important role interscholastic athletics play in the development of students. Therefore, scholastic incentives have been established and are enforced for the educational and personal welfare of students who participate in athletics.
As members of the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA), LWSD must follow all standards set by WIAA. Academic eligibility standards, as outlined in WIAA Rule 18.7.0 requires students to maintain passing grades in:
- 3 classes in a 4-period class schedule
- 4 classes in a 5-period class schedule
- 5 classes in a 6-period class schedule
- 6 classes in a 7-period class schedule
- 7 classes in an 8-period class schedule
- Incomplete (I) grades are considered non-numerical grades. Students have 2 weeks to complete required work; if not, an F is issued and the student-athlete becomes ineligible.
- Schools will monitor a student’s continued academic eligibility with periodic grade checks. Students deemed to be ineligible will be allowed to practice but not to participate in contests until eligibility status is restored.
- For more information, see the complete LWSD Academic Eligibility Criteria.
Additionally, to be eligible to participate in any LWSD athletic program, a student must pay all fines, return all equipment/uniforms from previous sports and complete the following requirements:
Fees are collected on a per sport basis with both individual and family caps. The family caps will apply for brothers/sisters who attend the same school. Fees must be paid at the time of turnout and will be so noted on the clearance form approved by the school bookkeeper or secretary. Secondary school parents can pay student fees online.
Parents of students who are unable to afford the fee should complete a Sports Fee Waiver Request Form and contact the coach or athletic director at their school.
- Middle School Sports Fee Waiver Request Form
- High School Sports Fee Waiver Request Form (coming soon)
100% refund will be provided under the following conditions:
- Student is cut from the squad by the coach
- Student quits due to illness or injury prior to first contest
- Student quits due to family moving prior to first contest
Refunds must be requested prior to the end of the sports season.
Registration is done online through FinalForms. Your information is saved from season-to-season and year-to-year, making the registration process quick and easy.
You will need the following information to allow for accurate completion of your online registration:
- Basic Medical History & Health Information
- Insurance Company & Policy Number
- Doctor & Dentist Contact Information
- Hospital Preference
Creating an Account
FinalForms sends an email to parents and students with steps to create a FinalForms account. Emails are only sent if the is in grades 6-12. The student must be enrolled in Lake Washington School District before an account creation email is sent. If you need assistance creating your account, please contact FinalForms technical support: support@FinalForms.com.
Registering a Student
- Visit FinalForms
- Click LOGIN under the Parent icon.
- Click INCOMPLETE FORMS.
- Select the sports for which you would like to register. Your selection can be changed at any time prior to the registration deadline.
- Complete each form and sign your full name in the Parent Signature field at the bottom of the page. After signing a form, click SUBMIT FORM and move on to the next form.
- You will see a “Forms Finished” message when all forms are complete.
- If required, an email will automatically be sent to the your student, prompting them to complete the forms requiring their signature.
- Click MY STUDENTS when you are done. Repeat steps 3 - 6 for additional students.
- If you need to update your information, click the UPDATE FORMS button.
Participation information for Choice School students
Students who attend one of the LWSD Choice Schools may participate in athletic programs at their resident middle school or high school.
If you have any additional questions, contact your school's Athletic Office for assistance.
District Athletic Contacts
Director, Athletics & Activities
John Appelgate, 425-936-1367
Cathryn Brown, 425-936-1254
Debbie Chavez, 425-936-1130