Happy Teacher Appreciation Week! We want to recognize and honor all our outstanding teachers who are the heart and soul of education. Thank you, teachers, for working hard each and every day to elevate our students to become successful in school and beyond. We celebrate you today and every day!
2018-19 Start and End Time Changes
School start and end times will change for the 2018-19 school year as a seven-period day is implemented for high school students. We acknowledge any change has an impact to families’ current schedules. We want to ensure families have ample time to plan for the change.
This change takes effect starting on the first day of school, Tuesday, September 4, 2018. Families received a message from their school’s principal with school-specific start and end times for 2018-19 on Friday, March 9.
A School Start Time Advisory is continuing work in 2018-19 to study the impacts of potentially changing high school start times to later in future years. The Advisory includes staff and parents from elementary, middle and high school levels. They will make a recommendation for any potential further changes to school start and end times. Further changes in the 2019-2020 school year may or not occur, depending on their recommendation. There will continue to be ample opportunity for families to provide input throughout the process. Any changes to the high school start and end times result in adjustments to middle and elementary start and end times due to transportation.
- 1. Why are start and end times changing?
- 2. Why is a seven-period day needed and how does it benefit students?
- 3. How is implementing a seven-period day connected to school start and end time adjustments?
- 4. If additional instructional time is added only to the high school day, why are elementary and middle school start and end times impacted?
- 5. What is a tiered transportation system?
- 6. Why can’t all schools in the same level have the same start and end times?
- 7. How are school start and end times affected by our transportation system?
- 8. How does this impact Wednesday LEAP Times (1.5-hour early release for students)?
- 9. How is the district considering the impact of start and end times on the safety of students?
- 10. What about a later high school start time as is happening in neighbor districts? Is that under consideration?
- 11. Will there be further changes to school start and end times in future years?