Happy Teacher Appreciation Week! We want to recognize and honor all our outstanding teachers who are the heart and soul of education. Thank you, teachers, for working hard each and every day to elevate our students to become successful in school and beyond. We celebrate you today and every day!
Earth Day is every day at Lake Washington School District. We are a recognized leader in sustainability practices and education in the region. This recognition has come from various organizations:
- 2019 U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon School District Sustainability Awardee
- McKinstry’s 2015 Champions of Sustainability award.
- Eight-time winner of the King County Best Workplace for Waste Prevention and Recycling. Nearly 75 percent of schools in the district collect organic food waste for composting. The district is committed to proactively right-sizing service, including smaller garbage containers and less frequent pickups.
- LWSD is one of 12 districts in the nation to receive Excellence in Integrated Pest Management star certification. This certification ensures the use of alternate, non-chemical pest control methods. The district passed a rigorous 37-point evaluation conducted by the independent nonprofit IPM Institute of North America.
- 2017 Green Cleaning Award from American School and University Magazine. Cleaning to protect the health of students and staff without harm to the environment.
- Grants approved thus far from Puget Sound Energy for high-efficiency features for new schools: $144,100.
District sustainability efforts rely on the participation of every person in the district, in addition to community partners and volunteers. Learn how LWSD is teaching today’s students about sustainability, while using green building practices to construct the schools of tomorrow.