Would you wear a watch and slippers made from carbon dioxide emissions? Or brush your teeth using toothpaste made from CO₂? Before the pandemic, students at Evergreen Middle School were learning about real products that capture and store carbon dioxide that would otherwise go into the atmosphere.
Lake Washington School District Preschool Program
The Lake Washington Preschool Program offers a comprehensive early childhood learning experience. Classes include typically developing children from the community who attend the Lake Washington Preschool Program to receive a quality, general education preschool experience in preparation for kindergarten, as well as students receiving special education. Our excellent preschool education is offered through a tuition-based program. Students in the tuition-based program are registered based on available space. Students qualifying for special education or students at risk based on income level do not pay a fee for attendance. Non-tuition student selection is based on completion of a Head Start application.
Lake Washington Preschool Program Information:
- Each classroom has:
- One Special Education Teacher
- One General Education Lead Teacher
- One Para Educator
- Additional staff serves classrooms based on individual student needs, including:
- Occupational therapist
- Speech and language pathologist
- Physical therapist
- The staff works together to provide the best environment for learning for all of the children.
- Instruction is taught from research-based general pre-K curriculum.
The Lake Washington Preschool Program offers a comprehensive early childhood learning experience for 3- and 4-year-olds who live within the district boundary. Lake Washington Preschool Program provides students with a quality, general-education preschool experience that prepares them for kindergarten. This program also serves students who are eligible to receive special education services.
Children with birthdays between September 1, 2015 and August 31, 2017, are eligible to participate in this program. Each class has one special education teacher, one general education lead teacher and one para educator. Class size range from 15-18 students.
Preschool students attend class four days per week. Classes are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. The morning class is from 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and the afternoon class is from 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Program locations for 2020-21 are below (Subject to change prior to school starting in September):
- Kirkland: Bell Elementary, Juanita Elementary, Muir Elementary, Sandburg Elementary
- Redmond: Old Redmond Schoolhouse, Wilder Elementary
- Sammamish: Carson Elementary
Registration for the tuition-based Lake Washington Preschool Program is handled at the District Resource Center. The cost of the program for the 2020-21 school year is $4,000 ($400 per month). Upon confirmation of classroom enrollment, a $400 deposit will be required.
Developmental Delays/Special Education Eligible
Children who have a disability that adversely impacts their education may be eligible for services and/or placement in a preschool classroom, including transportation. The district’s Child Find department also provides developmental evaluations to determine if a child has a disability that qualifies him/her for services. Children are eligible if they are at least 3 years old and have qualifying scores on the assessment in one or more of the following areas:
- Fine motor
- Gross motor
- Adaptive skills
If you are concerned that your child may have developmental delays, contact Child Find at 425-936-2760 to determine if an assessment is appropriate for your child.
To register for the tuition-based program
- Children must be 3 or 4 years of age to attend.
- Immunizations must be current.
- Tuition: $4,000 ($400 monthly payments September - May). Upon confirmation of classroom enrollment, a $400 deposit will be required.
- The district offers two payment options:
- Prepayment for the full year
- Payment made monthly through the use of an automated clearing house (ACH)
- Parents will be responsible for the child's transportation.
Preschool Registration Questions?
Contact: Nichole Townsend
Concerns about your child’s development or been referred for an evaluation?
Contact: Linda Pankow, Child Find Coordinator
For more information on the Head Start preschool program:
Contact: Katie Walker
425-936-1170 option 2.
Director of Early Learning
Old Redmond Schoolhouse
16600 NE 80th St.
Redmond, WA 98052