Kirkland, Wash. – The U.S. Department of Education announced today that Carl Sandburg Elementary and Discovery Community School are among the 2020 U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools award honorees.
Wellness - Healthy Meals
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ website, eat right, has many resources on taking care of your health through food and nutrition. While practicing safe stay-at-home measures, meal planning can help ensure you have what you and your family need. It also can help reduce overspending and unnecessary food stockpiling.
Consider the following meal planning tips:
• Before shopping, see what you already have at home.
• Practice “first in, first out” rule to eat the oldest food before newer items.
• Create menus around foods you have on hand.
• Choose recipes for the week that incorporate overlapping ingredients.
For more tips, visit: https://sm.eatright.org/mealplanning
- Healthy Meals
UNICEF offers tips on easy, affordable and healthy meals during the COVID-19 outbreak. While ready-made and processed foods may be a quick and low-cost way to feed the family, there are convenient alternatives. Consider the following five ways to help provide a varied and nutritious diet.
- Keep up fruit and vegetable intake
- Swap in healthy dried or canned alternative when fresh produce is not available
- Build up a stock of healthy snacks
- Limit highly processed food
- Make cooking and eating a fun and meaningful part of your family routine.
Check out the article for more detailed information on implementing each of these tips.
- Healthy Meals