Lake Washington School District has a strong and active middle school band program, with classes for everyone from beginners to students with years of experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
The project to rebuild and expand Juanita High School's (JHS) academic building is funded by a $398 million construction bond, approved by voters in April 2016. The bond funds eight school projects in total. These schools will help serve the rapid enrollment growth in Lake Washington School District (LWSD).
LWSD has actively engaged staff and community throughout the JHS design process. This page provides responses to the questions that were most frequently asked during staff and community meetings and via the Let’s Talk online system. As information is updated or added, we will include the date of the change next to the question.
If you have more questions or comments, please contact us via the Let’s Talk online system.
- How are construction personnel identified?
- What measures are in place to protect students, staff and visitors from construction activities, and to provide for safe navigation around the site?
- Is there a process in place for criminal background checks for construction personnel working on the site?
- Are there hazardous materials in the building such as asbestos and lead paint?
- How will a standard portable classroom be set up? Will students have access to technology in the portables as they do now in the main building classrooms?
- Will tests such as the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), College Readiness Assessment (ACT), Advanced Placement (AP), Cambridge and other state testing be impacted by the construction?
- What steps is the project team taking to mitigate construction noise and activity to avoid negative impact to the learning environment?
- Will there be enough restrooms for students and staff during each phase?
- The theater and performing arts spaces will be demolished and will not be available from the start of summer break in 2018 through the end of August 2019. Where will these activities be held?
- Where will the other music programs, currently held in the performance arts wing, be held during construction?
- Will the counseling and career center be relocated for temporary use when it is impacted by the construction?
- Where will tennis practice take place while the tennis court area is used for temporary portables?
- Will any part of the campus be open for outside building use once construction begins, or will it be closed to all outside groups during the construction period?
- How will the field house and athletic fields be affected by construction?
- Will the pool be available at all regularly scheduled times, or will access be interrupted? What is the impact to the Wave Aquatics program, including parking?