Welcome to the 2021-22 school year! Watch this video to see Clara Barton Elementary School students and staff share their excitement on this special day.
Elementary Band and Orchestra
While our goal is to return to in-person instruction for all programs, current conditions and safety guidelines mean that the Lake Washington School District Elementary Band and Orchestra Enrichment Program will be held remotely to begin the school year. The remote instruction will include asynchronous (recorded) lessons, synchronous (live) before school remote connection time opportunities, and independent practice choices. Registration is open to Lake Washington School District students in the fourth and fifth grade.
The health and safety of our students, families, and educators are a priority. We will continue to evaluate the delivery model for the program as Washington State Department of Health (DOH) and LWSD’s COVID-19 Safety Team provides updated guidance.
- September 13, 2021 – October 1, 2021: Online registration opens for fourth and fifth grade students.
- Week of September 13, 2021: Elementary band and orchestra teachers will connect with their feeder elementary schools to share details about virtual informational meetings scheduled for students and families.
- Week of September 20, 2021: Virtual informational meetings for families and students. See your Elementary Band or Orchestra Program school site location listed below for dates and times.
- Week of September 27, 2021: Elementary band and orchestra asynchronous (recorded) and synchronous (live) before school connection time opportunities begin.
Participation in our elementary band and orchestra program is presently open to all fourth and fifth graders in the Lake Washington School District. See your Elementary Band or Orchestra school site for details.
For the 2021-22 school year, we are currently offering the following programs:
- Beginning Band for fourth and fifth grade band students who have no previous experience playing their chosen instrument.
- Beginning Strings for fourth and fifth grade orchestra students who have no previous experience playing their chosen instrument.
- Experienced Band for fourth and fifth grade band students who are experienced playing their chosen instrument.
- Experienced Strings for fourth and fifth grade orchestra students who are experienced playing their chosen instrument.
No bus transportation provided. Instruction is being delivered remotely.
Elementary Band and Orchestra is not held on non-school days, including late starts or emergency closures.
There is no fee to participate in LWSD’s elementary band or orchestra, however students will need to provide their own instrument. The main cost will be renting an instrument.
For families where cost might be a barrier to participation, program sites have a limited amount of instruments available for rent. Families that qualify for free/reduced lunch are given first priority. Please contact the band or orchestra coordinator at your student’s assigned site if you have any questions regarding instrument rentals.
Lake Washington School District has a strong and active middle school band program, with classes for everyone from beginners to students with years of experience.