COVID safety protocols led to a different looking Lake Washington School District (LWSD) Culinary Competition this year. The event took place virtually with students cooking from their own kitchens.
Elementary Band and Orchestra
This year’s program is currently open to Lake Washington School District students in the fifth grade. We are pausing on registration of current fourth grade students into band or orchestra. We will continue to evaluate our ability to offer this program to fourth graders in the 2020-21 school year and update families. Similar to the music instruction students will receive from their general music teacher, this year’s elementary band and orchestra program will include asynchronous (recorded) lessons, synchronous (live) connection time opportunities, and independent practice choices.
- September 8 - October 2, 2020: Registration open for fifth grade students.
- Week of September 14, 2020: Virtual informational meetings for families with returning and beginning students. See your Elementary Band or Orchestra Program school site for details.
- Week of September 21, 2020: Elementary band and orchestra instruction begins.
Participation in our elementary band and orchestra program is presently open to all fifth graders in the Lake Washington School District. See your Elementary Band or Orchestra school site for details.
For the 2020-21 school year, we are currently offering the following programs:
- First Year Band and Strings (for new fifth grade instrumental students)
- Second Year Band and Strings (for returning fifth grade instrumental students)
No bus transportation provided. Instruction is being delivered remotely.
Elementary Band and Orchestra is not held on non-school days, including late starts or emergency closures.
There is no fee to participate in LWSD’s elementary band or orchestra, however students will need to provide their own instrument. The main cost will be renting an instrument.
For families where cost might be a barrier to participation, program sites have a limited amount of instruments available for rent. Families that qualify for free/reduced lunch are given first priority. Please contact the band or orchestra coordinator at your student’s assigned site if you have any questions regarding instrument rentals.
Lake Washington School District has a strong and active middle school band program, with classes for everyone from beginners to students with years of experience.