Horace Mann Elementary second graders got a hands-on toy-building lesson from “Mr. Toymaker,” Rick Hartman.
Sexual Health Curriculum
In response to the threat of HIV to our population, the 1988 Washington State Legislature mandated that a program of prevention education be presented to students yearly, beginning with the fifth grade. For our HIV/AIDS prevention education, the Lake Washington School District adopted the KNOW curriculum developed by OSPI for grades 5-8 and the FLASH curriculum created by the King County Department of Health for grades 9-12. Lake Washington School District also adopted sexual health lessons from the FLASH curriculum for students in 4th grade through high school. These curricula were adopted with the involvement of educators, parents, and community members. They provide a science-based understanding of the AIDS virus and how it is transmitted. Lessons will be taught by teachers at our schools.
HIV and AIDS Curriculum
The Washington State law (AIDS Omnibus Bill, RCW 28A.230.070) states, “The life-threatening dangers of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) and its prevention shall be taught in the public schools of this state. AIDS prevention education shall be limited to the discussion of the life-threatening dangers of the disease, its spread, and prevention.”
Parent(s) or guardian(s) will receive a 30 day notice from their school with the specific dates the KNOW and FLASH curriculum will be taught in the school. Curriculum materials can be viewed either on the King County and OSPI websites or at a district curriculum preview presentation. By clicking on the links at the bottom of this page, families can access the KNOW and FLASH curriculum online. If you are unable to access the materials online, please contact the Curriculum Library Secretary, Jennifer Gordon.
In accordance with the AIDS Omnibus Bill, no student may be required to participate in AIDS prevention education when a student’s parent(s) or guardian(s) meet the following two requirements:
- Attend one district presentation to preview the materials.
2019-20 District Sexual Health Presentations
- Monday, December 16, 2019 from 7-8 p.m. at the Resource Center’s Board Room.
- Tuesday, February 11, 2020 from 7-8 p.m. at the Resource Center’s Board Room.
- Sign a HIV/AIDS Exemption Form and return it to their child’s teacher.
Elementary Curriculum Resources (4th & 5th Grades)
- FLASH Curriculum (4th-12th Grades)
- For 4th grade, students are taught lessons: #1, #2, #4, #6, #9, #10, and #11. Lessons #3 and #5 may be covered.
- For 5th grade, students are taught lessons: #1, #2, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, and #12. Lessons #3, #5, and #6 may be covered.
- KNOW HIV/AIDS Curriculum (5th Grade)
- 4th Grade Exemption Form
- 5th Grade Exemption Form
Middle School Curriculum Resources (6th - 8th Grades)
High School Curriculum Resources (9th – 12th Grades)