Happy Teacher Appreciation Week! We want to recognize and honor all our outstanding teachers who are the heart and soul of education. Thank you, teachers, for working hard each and every day to elevate our students to become successful in school and beyond. We celebrate you today and every day!
LWSD teams finish at the top of the leaderboard at state Science Olympiad
Lake Washington School District (LWSD) teams performed very well at the Washington Science Olympiad State Tournament.
LWSD teams made up all of the top three spots in the middle school competition (Division B). Two teams from Timberline Middle School finished in first and third place, while a Redmond Middle School team placed second.
In the high school division, the Green team from Tesla STEM High School took home first place. Teams that finish in first place automatically qualify for the national event, however other teams can receive an invite based on results from other states. The 38th Annual Science Olympiad National Tournament will be hosted from May 9-14 and will be virtual. This year’s theme is “Imagination”.
According to the Science Olympiad website, Science Olympiad competitions are like academic track meets, consisting of a series of 23 team events in each division (Division B is middle school; Division C is high school). Each year, a portion of the events are rotated to reflect the ever-changing nature of genetics, earth science, chemistry, anatomy, physics, geology, mechanical engineering and technology. By combining events from all disciplines, Science Olympiad encourages a wide cross-section of students to get involved. Emphasis is placed on active, hands-on group participation. Through Science Olympiad, students, teachers, parents, principals and business leaders bond together and work toward a shared goal.
Below is a list of all the LWSD teams that competed at the state level and finished in the top ten:
Division B (middle school)
- Timberline Middle School (Alpha) – 1st Place – Qualified for the national tournament
- Redmond Middle School (Mars) – 2nd Place – Qualified for the national tournament
- Timberline Middle School (Beta) – 3rd Place
- Redmond Middle School (Venus) – 7th Place
- Evergreen Middle School (Alpha) – 8th Place
- Timberline Middle School (Zeta) – 9th place
Division C (high school)
- Tesla STEM High School (Green) – 1st Place - Qualified for the national tournament
- Redmond High School (Green) – 6th Place
- Tesla STEM High School (Magenta) – 7th Place