After winning the school-wide competition at International Community School (ICS) for two poem readings, Clio Erignac (grade 10) went on to place in the top three at the Poetry Out Loud Northwest Washington Regional Finals on Thursday, February 11.
Your John Hancock, please – LWSD students participate in the February National Signing Day
It is a big moment for student-athletes when they get to sign the National Letter of Intent to attend a college to play sports. Both Eastlake High School (EHS) and Lake Washington High School (LWHS) hosted events on Wednesday, February 5 to celebrate the occasion. Nine students from EHS and three students from LWHS participated in their school’s signing day events.
National Signing Day has become increasingly popular with high school students over the years. Typically, the student will either reveal what school they are going to on that day or sign the letter of intent after previously committing verbally to the school. These signing days take place on the first day the athlete can sign the letter. There are multiple signing days throughout the year based on the sport the student plays. All colleges that accept letters on signing day are a part of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
This day also marked the celebration of National Girls and Women in Sports Day. An annual day of observance to acknowledge the accomplishments of female athletes.
Juanita High School and Redmond High School did not host signing events in February.
Here is a list of the students who participated in a National Signing Day event this year:
Eastlake High School:
- Keeli Burton-Oliver – Basketball – Arizona State University
- Garrett Carney – Football – University of San Diego
- Peyton Davidson – Basketball – Arizona Christian University
- Belle DeOliviera – Softball – Ithaca College
- Axel Isackson – Football – Central Washington University
- Marley Johnson – Volleyball – University of New Hampshire
- Grady Robison – Football – Western Kentucky
- Sydney Sanford – Volleyball – Corban University
- Camryn Snyder – Softball – UC Santa Barbara
- Victor Wang – Golf – Yale
Lake Washington High School:
- Tessa Watkins – Track and Field – Washington State University
- Belle Brandenfels – Track and Cross Country – Seattle Pacific University
- Anna Fridell – Fastpitch Softball – Edmonds Community College