Students in Katie Jacobs’ fourth grade class at Franklin Elementary worked on building hydraulic powered claws in class during the month of May. This end of the year STEM project led to seeing life-sized machines up close and in person.
Skilled and Technical Sciences Program
Creative students who see themselves designing, producing, exhibiting, performing, writing or publishing multimedia content will want to pursue courses in the Arts, A/V Technology and Communications Career Cluster.
You will apply artistic talent to practical problems and learn visual arts principles that prepare you with skills and techniques to work in any number of creative design and entertainment fields.
This career cluster is organized into six career pathways:
- Audio and video technology and film
- Broadcasting and journalism
- Performing arts
- Printing technology
- Visual Arts
Is this pathway for you?
- Are you able to communicate your ideas to diverse audiences?
- Are you passionate enough to overcome obstacles?
- Do ideas inspire you to create?
- Do you enjoy creating, inventing or imagining new and different ways to do different things?
- Do you find multiple ways to express your creativity?
- Do you enjoy drawing, performing or writing stories?
- Are you interested in technology and its ongoing innovation?
- Does the idea of working in or being a part of a community that creates excite you?
Connecting career pathways through student leadership
Washington Technology Student Association
Interested in careers in architecture, engineering, construction, manufacturing, film/video production, graphic arts or other technical areas? TSA is the only student leadership organization devoted exclusively to students interested in technology. Learn through exciting competitive events and leadership opportunities. From engineers to business managers, alumni credit TSA with having had a positive influence on their lives.
Local leadership opportunities are available at each school. Please see your teacher for more information.
LWSD elective recommendations
Skilled and Technical Sciences - Arts and Communication
- MS – Digital Photography
- MS – Digital Video
- MS – Digital Media I, II
- MS – Art and Design I, II
- MS – Yearbook I, II
- Photography I, II, III
- Video Production I, II
- Digital Design
- Graphic Production
- Broadcast Communications
- Art and Design
- AP Art and Design
- Commercial Art and Design
- Industrial Design—3D Printing
- Technical Theater
- Yearbook/Publishing I, II