Students in Katie Jacobs’ fourth grade class at Franklin Elementary worked on building hydraulic powered claws in class during the month of May. This end of the year STEM project led to seeing life-sized machines up close and in person.
Human Services Program
The Human Services Career Cluster prepares you for jobs that relate to families and human needs. Whether you want to be a social worker, a childcare provider or a hairdresser, you will be addressing human needs. Additionally, this cluster introduces students to management, marketing and operation of restaurants and other food services, lodging, attractions, recreation and travel services
CTE classes in this cluster will introduce you to a variety of interesting careers including:
- Restaurant, food service, lounge, casino, coffee shop, or catering owner, operator or manager
- Hotel, motel, resort, or bed and breakfast owner, operator or manager
- Travel and tourism
- Personal care services
- Interpreter or translator
- Family and Community Services
- Early childhood development and services
- Counseling and mental health services
Is this pathway for you?
- Are you open-minded when helping others solve problems?
- Are you self-motivated?
- Are you interested in helping others?
- Are you compassionate and empathetic?
- Do you have a desire for a career in public service?
- Do you have a desire to understand and implement systems?
- Do you have an interest in human development and behavior?
- Do you have a desire to provide justice?
Connecting career pathways through student leadership
Washington Future Business Leaders of America
FBLA gives students a professional edge, current professional information and valuable connections to business and industry partners.
Gain leadership skills by planning and participating in community service, developing speaking and presentation skills, attending conferences and networking.
Local leadership opportunities are available at each school. Please see your teacher for more information.
LWSD elective recommendations
- MS – Foods Foundations
- MS – Foods of the World
- MS – Food Science & Sustainability
- Culinary Arts I, II
- Culinary Arts and Catering
- Food Science
- International Foods
- American Sign Language I, II, III, IV
- Family Health
- Child Development I, II
- AP Psychology
- Teacher Education Academy I, II
- Interior Design
- WANIC Culinary Arts