Students in Katie Jacobs’ fourth grade class at Franklin Elementary worked on building hydraulic powered claws in class during the month of May. This end of the year STEM project led to seeing life-sized machines up close and in person.
Agriculture & Natural Resources Program
The Agriculture, Food, and Natural Resources (AFNR) Career Cluster® focuses on the essential elements of life food, water, land and air. This career cluster includes a diverse spectrum of occupations, ranging from farmer, rancher and veterinarian to geologist, land conservationist and florist. It also includes non- traditional agricultural occupations like wind energy, solar energy and oil and gas production. This career cluster is organized into eight career pathways:
- Animal systems
- Agribusiness systems
- Biotechnology systems
- Environmental service systems
- Food products and processing systems
- Natural resources systems
- Plant systems
- Power, structural and technical systems
Is this pathway for you?
- Do you get satisfaction from helping people, animals and/or the environment?
- Do you enjoy dealing with a problem that isn’t easily solved or doesn’t have one correct answer?
- Are you comfortable with situations that are unpredictable and rapidly changing?
- Are you interested in math and science?
- Do you enjoy doing puzzles, exploring and solving problems?
- Do you spend a lot of time outside enjoying nature?
- Do you like to volunteer and do service work that focuses on helping people or the environment?
Connecting career pathways through student leadership
LWSD elective recommendations
- MS – Green Sustainable Design
- Environmental Science
- AP Environmental Science
- Urban Agriculture I, II
- Marine Science – Climate Change, Human Impact