Lake Washington School District remains committed to ensuring the continuation of high-quality services for all students, including our students in need of highly capable services.
Washington state recently passed new laws governing highly capable services. New legislation will require all districts in Washington to update their language and processes around eligibility to meet these mandates. Our department has always worked closely with OSPI to align its practices to mandates and guidance from the state.
Information on our website has been updated to ensure compliancy with the new laws. Updates will be made to our website as additional guidance is provided by OSPI.
Referrals for highly capable service consideration will be open September 12, 2023 12:01 a.m. - October 2, 2023 11:59 p.m.
The referral process for in-district students can now be completed through your family Skyward account. Directions for accessing this information can be found in the "SKYWARD HELP" tab.
LWSD’s highly capable services offer accelerated and enhanced instructional opportunities to students who have been identified. Our services are designed to meet the needs of our highly capable learners by providing curriculum and instruction beyond the scope of the general education classroom.
We are proud to offer services which are designed to meet the needs of our highly capable learners through:
- Enrichment and extension of academic and intellectual skill;
- Stimulation of intellectual curiosity, independence and responsibility;
- Acceleration and enrichment of content to meet student learning needs; and
- Development of advanced critical thinking, communication and collaboration skills through the lens of local and global citizenship
As you explore our website, you will encounter these terms:
- Accelerated Programs - The name of our entire department. This includes all of the programs and services from grades K-12 including Quest and Advanced Placement (AP).
- Highly Capable (HiCap) - Washington state's official term for any student receiving services for gifted education.
- Service models – The program service models within Accelerated Programs: Middle School Quest (MSQ), Full-Time Quest (FTQ), Pull-Out Quest (POQ), and K-5 HiCap (K5HC). In high school, service models include student self-selected courses such as: Running Start, College in the High School, Honors and Advanced Placement (AP) coursework.