It was moved from in-person meetings in board rooms to virtual sessions on the computer, but this year’s Lake Washington School District (LWSD) Teen Startup Challenge was as successful as ever.
The 2020-21 application window is closed.
Due to issues related to the Covid-19 pandemic, including continuously changing health and safety environment guidelines, in-person assessments will not be administered this year. Instead, we are moving to remote online testing for the current eligibility cycle. As part of the eligibility screening process, the CogAT screener will be administered in January 2021. Below is an overview of the CogAT screener for all applicants, as well as LWSD 1st grade students.
- All assessments given online (similar to SBA)
- Universal screening for current LWSD 1st graders (January 2021) administered remotely by classroom teachers using Teams. Elementary sites determine specific dates within the screening window.
- 2020-21 Applicants screening – tentative dates below
- Private/home school students – January 2021
- LWSD students in 5th grade applicants – January 2021
- LWSD students in 6th and 7th grade applicants – January 2021
- LWSD students in K, 2-4 applicants – January 2021
Families will be sent information via email specific to their student’s test event including date, time, and technology requirements for completing the assessment.
Students who meet the screening criteria will receive email notification from the Accelerated Programs Department regarding next steps in the eligibility process. Notifications are anticipated to be emailed to families two to three weeks after screening is complete. The email@example.com email address continues to be the most efficient method of communication with our department.
Lake Washington School District provides accelerated academic programs for students in kindergarten through 12th grade. These programs are designed to meet the learning styles and needs of students with exceptional intellectual, academic, and creative abilities.
- Early Entrance to Kindergarten
- Kindergarten Highly Capable Services
- K5HC - Grades K-5
- First - Fifth Grade Highly Capable Services
- K5HC - Grades K-5
- Pull-out Quest - Grades 2-5
- Full-time Quest - Grades 2-5
- Middle School Highly Capable Services
- Middle School Quest - Grades 6-8
- High School Highly Capable Services
- Running Start
- College in the High School
- Honors Classes
- Advanced Placement
Accelerated Programs Staff
Becky Kadrmas, Director
Janette Cimburek, Administrative Supervisor
Amanda Olson, Administrative Professional
Jennifer Rusch, Administrative Professional
Britt Galen, Accelerated Programs Psychologist
Crystal Batlle, Instructional Specialist
Lake Washington School District
Accelerated Programs Office
P.O. Box 97039
Redmond, WA 98073
Lake Washington School District Resource Center
16250 N.E. 74th Street
Redmond, WA 98052
For a complete list of Accelerated Programs staff, please visit the Highly Capable Programs Staff Directory.
Gifted Education Advisory Council (GEAC)
Gifted Education Advisory Council is a parent-led committee that supports the gifted education program in Lake Washington School District.