Facility Advisory Committee (2019-21)
The Facility Advisory Committee's work was completed in 2021.
Lake Washington School District (LWSD) is growing rapidly. LWSD has grown from the sixth largest school district in the state to the second largest district in just five years. LWSD’s October 1 student enrollment was over 31,000 students, 1,100 more students than last year. For the last 11 years, from 2008 to 2019, the district’s enrollment grew by an average of 667 students each year. That is the size of a large elementary school. A total of 7,337 more students are in LWSD schools today than 11 years ago, representing 31 percent growth.
- In 2014, LWSD formed a 63-member Long-Term Facility Task Force to help develop a plan to address the district’s facility challenges.
- The Task Force reviewed the district’s facility needs and developed recommendations to reduce overcrowding, accommodate a rapidly growing student enrollment and continue to provide quality learning environments and experiences for our students. Staff and community members provided feedback throughout the process.
- In November 2015, the Task Force recommended a long-term strategy through 2029-30, which prioritized building new schools and enlarging aging schools to address capacity needs.
- A Bond Advisory Committee helped develop the funding plan to implement the long-term facility recommendations. The long-term plan guides the district as we continue building toward future success. The funding plan included four phases: an April 2016 bond that was passed by voters, a February 2018 bond that was not passed by voters, and future bonds planned for 2022 and 2026.
- In April 2019, a Capital Projects levy was passed to provide critical capacity needs.
- Given that the Task Force recommendations were based on assumptions from 2014 and enrollment and growth patterns continue to change, the district will bring together a committee in 2019-20 to review and update the 2014 Task Force recommendations.
In November 2019, Lake Washington School District formed a Facility Advisory Committee to make recommendations for future facility planning, informed by enrollment trends, community expectations and district programs. The facility strategy will align with the District’s strategic plan and make recommendations to accommodate our rapid enrollment growth and continue to provide quality learning environments.The Superintendent and School Board will consider these recommendations as it plans for future ballot measures to fund construction.
Facility Advisory Committee Roster
For additional background and information visit our Facility Planning and Construction webpages.
The Facility Advisory Committee will be held monthly from November to May usually from 4:30 - 6:30 pm.
- November 20, 2019
- December 19, 2019 at Lake Washington High School
- January 16, 2020
- February 27, 2020 at Alcott Elementary
- March 12, 2020 (rescheduled to April, 2 - virtual meeting )
- April 16, 2020 (virtual meeting)
- April 30, 2020 (virtual meeting)
- May 21, 2020 (virtual meeting)
- December 3, 2020 (virtual meeting)
- January 7, 2021 (virtual meeting)