When schools closed in March, the traditional end-of-year band concerts that showcase a year’s worth of practice and progress were effectively canceled. Rose Hill Middle School (RHMS) Band Instructor, Angela Laulainen got creative during the remote learning period and had her students record their parts at home.
Instructional Materials Committee
The Instructional Materials Committee recommends instructional materials to the board of directors, which must vote to adopt specific curriculum for the district.
Connection to Strategic Goal:
Goal 1: Ensure academic success for every student
The Instructional Materials Committee recommends instructional materials to the board of directors, which must vote to adopt specific curriculum for the district. Determining which curriculum will be taught to our students includes an adoption process whereby:
- A diverse group of parents, community members, administrators, and teachers with subject matter expertise is formed
- Standards and interests are developed
- Screening criteria is created
- Available resources are reviewed
- Consensus and recommendation is made
- Public review is conducted
- Approval from Instructional Materials Committee and Lake Washington School District board
Meetings: Approximately once a month.
The adoption process is on a timeline with curriculum being reviewed every eight to ten years. Updates from the curriculum adoption committees are available here.