'Tis the Season of Giving in Lake Washington School District (LWSD). Each year schools and district buildings across LWSD think of ways to benefit those most in need during the holiday season.
Free Internet Access
Having reliable connectivity to the internet is critical for your student’s success during distance learning. The state recognizes this need, and has partnered with Ziply Fiber, Comcast/Xfinity and Presidio to create Washington’s K–12 Internet Access Program, which gives eligible families free internet access so your student can connect to online learning from home.
This internet access opportunity will provide you with faster, stronger and more reliable connectivity than hotspots or tethering to mobile devices, which will better support your student. If eligible, your free internet access is available through June 30, 2021.
- Step 1: Check eligibility
- Step 2: Choose provider
- Step 3: Request an access code
- Step 4: Sign up with Ziply, Comcast/Xfinity or Presidio
- Step 5: Return your district hotspot (if applicable)
- Additional Free & Reduced-Price Meal benefits
To qualify for this program your household must meet the following criteria:
- Your child must be eligible for free or reduced-price meals during the 2020-21 school year.
- Your household had no internet connection in your home prior to August 2020. Note, if you accessed the internet through a hotspot or a mobile device, you still qualify for this program.
If your family qualified for free and reduced meals last school year, you must reapply for the 2020-21 school year. Additionally, if your family income has decreased, you may be eligible for free or reduced-price school meals. This eligibility includes many other great benefits. If you have questions about applying for free and reduced meals, please contact our Nutrition Services Department at 425-936-1393 or email: email@example.com.
Student meal application steps:
- Please print the application/aplicaciónPDF download*
- Fill it out completely submit application one of these ways:
- Scan and mail it to F-RMealapp@lwsd.org, or
- Return it to your child’s school office, or
- Drop it off at the Resource Center, 16250 NE 74th St., Redmond, WA, or
- Mail it to: Business Services, PO Box 97039, Redmond, WA 98052
*For applications in other languages, please go to the USDA Food and Nutrition Service website.
Through this program, you can receive free internet access from Ziply or Comcast/Xfinity. Your home may not be served by both providers. If you are unsure which provider services your residence, enter your address in the following coverage map or contact your leasing office or landlord.
You will need an access code when signing up with either Ziply, Comcast/Xfinity or Presidio. Request a code by completing the online form below, including your students name as they are registered, and you will receive a response back by email within 24 hours.
If you qualify and are interested in this program, you will not pay for installation nor equipment rental, and you will never receive a bill from us unless you decide to keep internet service from Ziply Fiber after the school year ends. You will need to pay for any damaged or lost equipment.
Through this program, you will receive quality high speed internet access (speeds will vary by location) that in most cases, will provide ample bandwidth for remote learning and video conferencing. Your student deserves the chance to learn without limits so you can also count on us to provide unlimited data.
To apply, just call us at 866-916-0139 and provide the access code you received from LWSD. Ziply’s hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. PST, Saturday and Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. PST.
To confirm your eligibility, Ziply Fiber will need a few details from you about your income. This information will be shared with Washington’s K–12 education department through a secure access portal and will never be used for any other purpose. Please note, the State of Washington will audit eligibility throughout the program. Should they determine your eligibility status has changed, service will be discontinued under terms of this program.
Once you are approved for the K–12 Internet Access Program, you will get fast, free Ziply Fiber internet through June 30, 2021. It’s easy to continue with us after that; we have no contracts and offer several affordable plan options.
Ziply Fiber is committed to helping your student stay connected. We’re fast, reliable and friendly. We’re Ziply Fiber.
If you qualify and are interested in this program, you will not pay for installation or equipment rental. You will not receive a bill from Comcast during this free service period other than the first $0 invoice. You will be responsible for returning the equipment.
Through this program, you will receive quality high speed internet access, 25/3 Mbps. There is no term contract, no credit check and a free self-install kit. The data limit is 1.2 TB, which covers over 95% of all Comcast/Xfinity customers. This program also includes the option to purchase an Internet ready computer for just $149.99 + tax, as well as free online digital training classes and access to the Internet Essentials online Learning Center.
To apply, visit InternetEssentials.com using your computer or mobile device. Applying online is recommended.
Comcast/Xfinity verifies the identity of all customers when opening a new account and offers options to make the process as easy and seamless as possible:
- Provide name, address and Social Security number. Don’t worry if you don’t have a Social Security number or don’t want to share – this is optional.
- Provide name, address and mobile phone number. Instead of providing a Social Security number, you can verify your identity through SMS text messaging on your mobile phone.
- Provide documents confirming identity. Comcast accepts over 30 different documents, including a number of international documents (please see our website for the full list)
Comcast/Xfinity will share a student's legal name (usually the eldest student in the family with multiple students), date of birth, and district with Washington’s K-12 education department through a secure access portal and will never be used for any other purpose. Please note, the State of Washington will audit eligibility throughout the program. Should they determine your eligibility status has changed, service will be discontinued under terms of this program.
Once you are approved for the K–12 Internet Access Program, you will get free Comcast/Xfinity internet through June 30, 2021. If you’d like to continue service after this date, you’ll have the option to keep the Internet Essentials service for $9.95 per month, or cancel the service.
Washington’s K–12 Internet Access Program, by the provider Presidio, include a choice of either:
- Free broadband internet connectivity where available
- Free MoFi (Mobile HotSpot) internet connectivity where available
Free. There will be no fees for installation or equipment, and you will never receive a bill. No credit checks or denial based on past due bills.
- You will need to pay for any damaged or lost equipment.
Length of service:
Internet access will be provided to you, at no cost, through June 30, 2021.
- If you want to continue with internet service after June 30, 2021, it will become your financial responsibility. To continue, you will need to contact your internet provider and make arrangements for this. Otherwise, your service will automatically end when the program ends.
Grant funds to cover this are limited – so you need to apply as soon as possible. To apply for the Presidio Washington’s K–12 Internet Access Program:
- Fill out the enrollment form at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FreeSchoolInternetWA
- Sign up with an ISP will then follow.
- Equipment should arrive within 14 days of sign up. Follow installation instructions outlined with the internet service provider, which will arrive with your equipment.
A few other points:
- Your participation in the program will not be shared outside of your School District and Washington’s K–12 education department.
- Linked here is the Spanish enrollment form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/InternetGratisEscolarWA
- Electronic sign-up strongly recommended. Alternately, if this is not available to you, please call your district for enrollment at and ask them to apply on your behalf.
In addition to this opportunity to access free internet, it is important to submit your free and reduced meals application today so that you have access to other important benefits, such as the following:
- Reduced fee for PSAT and Advanced Placement Testing
- Reduced fee for sports/athletics
- Reduced fee for summer school
- Access to Backpack Program, which provides backpacks and school supplies
- Access to Operation School Bell, which provides clothes and personal products
Please know that the number of eligible students for free and reduced price meals connects to the District’s Title I funding, which provides additional support at schools to help students succeed. If you have questions about applying for free and reduced meals, please visit our Student Meals page of the LWSD website: https://www.lwsd.org/fall-2020/grab-go-student-meals.