When schools closed in March, the traditional end-of-year band concerts that showcase a year’s worth of practice and progress were effectively canceled. Rose Hill Middle School (RHMS) Band Instructor, Angela Laulainen got creative during the remote learning period and had her students record their parts at home.
Lake Washington School District is currently hiring paraeducators.
Paraeducators make an important difference in the lives of our students.
Paraeducator responsibilities include:
- Individual and small-group instructional support for students who have physical, behavioral or medical needs
- Encouraging and helping students working on assignments and projects
- Helping students develop living and behavioral skills
- Supervising and assisting students in classrooms, the library, resource rooms, self-contained classrooms, playgrounds, etc.
- Supporting students’ health care needs
- Click this link for a complete job description
Why become a Paraeducator?
- Support and coach students, and make a lasting difference in their lives
- Form strong relationships with students, teachers and families
- Work in a supportive team environment
- Earn competitive pay, contributions to Washington State’s retirement system and benefits (for employees working 4+ hours a day)
Which schools have Paraeducator openings?
- LWSD currently has Paraeducator openings in elementary, middle and high schools
- For a complete list of open positions and to apply, see the online application system
What qualifications are required to become a Paraeducator?
- Washington State requires Paraeducators to have ONE of the following:
- Associate degree (AA) or higher (click here for information on international degrees) OR
- Have completed two years of study, equivalent to 72 college quarter credit hours OR
- Have graduated from high school and passed an Educational Testing Service ParaPro Assessment with a score of 461 or higher
- Haven't met one of requirements above?
- If you have graduated from high school, you will need to pass the ParaPro Assessment. Sign up for the assessment here.