Like any new skill, it takes practice to learn how to recycle and compost correctly. Three LWSD schools were recognized with a King County Earth Heroes at School award on May 3.
Timeline for Selecting LWSD Superintendent
May 24, 2018
- May 11-June 4 – Position Open
- June 14 – School Board Executive Session with Ray & Associates to review applications and evaluate merits of candidates for first-round interviews
- June 22 – School Board Executive Session to interview candidates (first round)
- June 22 – School Board meeting for School Board action to select finalists, 7 p.m.; location: LWSD Resource Center Board Room
- June 25 – Post announcement of superintendent candidates selected for finalist (second-round) interviews
- June 28 – Town Hall meetings, 5 - 8 p.m. at the LWSD Resource Center. The public is invited to meet finalists and provide feedback to the Board.
- June 29 – School Board Executive Session to interview final candidates.
- June 29 – Special School Board meeting for School Board action to select superintendent, 5 p.m.; location: LWSD Resource Center Board Room
- June 30 – Post announcement of superintendent choice
NOTE: Executive Sessions are not open to the public, as defined by law.
Search Process Update following the May 10 Special School Board Meeting
May 14, 2018Consultants from Ray and Associates presented the results of the community survey and stakeholder meetings, to help identify the key attributes that will be defined in the job posting. They also presented a draft of the posting, which the Board reviewed and agreed on edits to be incorporated in the final version (posted above). The posting will be open May 11-June 4.
Below are resources that Ray & Associates shared during the Board meeting, regarding community feedback and a revised timeline showing next steps.
We value your input – Engage with us in the LWSD superintendent search process
April 26, 2018
Community Engagement: Over the next few weeks, there will be opportunities for staff, students, parents and community members to have input into the important Lake Washington School District (LWSD) superintendent search process. At the beginning of the process, input gathered through surveys (see below), focus groups, and community meetings will be used to help define the position profile and desired selection criteria for an ideal candidate. It will also inform the board of the issues and overall climate of the school district. Ultimately, the School Board makes the final decision on hiring the next superintendent of LWSD.
Surveys*: Two surveys will help us gather input from our community. The “30 Qualities of a Superintendent Survey” asks you to share what leadership qualities, expertise and experiences matter most to you in a superintendent. The “District Review Survey” asks you to talk about the strengths and challenges Lake Washington School District currently faces.
To participate, please click on the survey links below in your desired language:
Surveys will close on Monday, May 7, 2018 at 8 a.m.
Meetings: Four public meetings are scheduled to gather input from parents and community members.
- Tuesday, May 1 from 6-7 p.m. in the Lake Washington High School Commons (12033 NE 80th Street, Kirkland, WA 98033)
- Wednesday, May 2 from 5-6 p.m. at Lake Washington School District Resource Center (16250 NE 74th Street, Redmond, WA 98074)
- Thursday, May 3 from 10-11 a.m. at Redmond Public Library (15990 NE 85th Street, Redmond, WA 98052)
- Thursday, May 3 from 6-7 p.m. at Sammamish Public Library (825 228th Avenue SE, Sammamish, WA 98075)
- Tuesday, May 8 from 6-7 p.m. in the Kamiakin Middle School Cafeteria (14111 132nd Avenue NE, Kirkland, WA 98034)
* Surveys provided by Ray & Associates.
Lake Washington School District Board of Directors Selects Consulting Firm for Superintendent Search
April 20, 2018
During a special board meeting on Thursday, April 19, Lake Washington School District’s (LWSD’s) Board of Directors selected Ray and Associates, a national education search firm, to conduct a broad search and thorough selection process to name LWSD’s next superintendent.
Ray and Associates is experienced in identifying and recruiting leaders for high-performing school districts like LWSD. The same process and search firm will be used for considering internal and external applicants.Read the full press release about the LWSD Board of Directors selecting a consulting firm for the superintendent search.
Lake Washington School District Board of Directors Shares First Steps in Selecting New Superintendent
April 11, 2018
Lake Washington School District’s (LWSD’s) Board of Directors will be initiating a national, open search for LWSD’s next superintendent with the support of a consulting firm experienced in identifying and recruiting leaders for high-performing school districts like LWSD. The same process and search firm will be used for considering internal and external applicants.
“The Board has already started researching options and is working to determine the next steps in identifying Lake Washington School District’s new superintendent,” said LWSD Board President Siri Bliesner.
Lake Washington School District Superintendent to Step into New Role
April 10, 2018
Lake Washington School District Superintendent Dr. Traci Pierce announced today her plans to step out of the role of superintendent and into a different role within the organization.
In a message to district staff and families, Pierce shared, “I am very proud of what we have accomplished together over these past six years. It has been an honor and privilege to serve as superintendent. I am grateful for the talented and dedicated team of professional educators who work in this district. I truly love this district and the work that we do, and I am excited to continue to serve the district in a new role as I enter the next season of my career. As a lifelong educator, I am very passionate about fulfilling our district vision of Every Student Future Ready. By assuming the role of Director, College and Career Readiness, I will be able to focus all my time, talent and energy on helping every single student reach this vision. I look forward to continuing to develop district systems for engaging students in Career and Technical Education and WANIC coursework; in building opportunities for internships and externships for students; and in continuing to cultivate relationships with community and business partners to benefit our students."Read the full announcement about Dr. Pierce stepping into a new role in LWSD.