Back to School Supply Drive: August 22-24 from noon - 4 p.m. | Drop off location: LWSD Resource Center. View flyer for more information.
Spanish-English Dual Language Choice Program in Lake Washington School District
Lake Washington School District has developed a dual language Spanish-English program at Einstein Elementary School. The program serves students from Kindergarten through fifth grade.
The dual language program has instruction in two languages. In general, in grades k-1 the split is 80% Spanish and 20% English, and in grades 2-5 it's 50-50. Each dual language class is composed of approximately 50% native Spanish speakers and 50% English speakers. Language learning happens through content instruction and interaction between students. Subjects such as math, science, English language arts and social studies, are taught to all students in Spanish and/or English.
Incoming kindergarten students for 2022-23 who reside within the Einstein attendance area will have preference for enrollment in the program for 2022-23. Because most students remain in the program through grade 5, there may be limited number spaces for new first and second grade students next year. Preference for open spaces is given to students who reside within the Einstein attendance area. If more students in grades K-2 apply than there are spaces, students will be selected for these spaces using the choice school lottery and wait list process.
- What is dual-language education?
- Why are we developing a dual language program in Lake Washington School District?
- What are the benefits of dual-language education? What does the research tell us about dual-language instruction?
- When do children in dual language programs become fluent in a second language (English or Spanish)?
- How will the program be structured?
- Will my child learn the same subjects as students in other classes?
- Will learning a second language impact his or her overall success in school? Will s/he fall behind?
- How will students be selected for the program?
- How will my child understand if s/he does not speak the second language? What do the first days look like?
- What are the program expectations for parents?
- Who can I contact if I want more information?