Strong kids begin with strong minds. That's why Jordan McClellion at Juanita Elementary is nurturing her students to see the best in themselves through the "affirmation mirror" station.
Transitional Bilingual Instruction Program
The board has the highest commitment toward ensuring an equal educational opportunity for every student. While English is the basic language of instruction in the district's schools, the district shall provide a transitional bilingual program for children whose primary language is not English, and whose English skills are sufficiently deficient or absent to impair learning.
District staff will:
- Communicate, whenever feasible, with parents of students in the bilingual program in a language they can understand;
- Assess and determine, by means of a state-approved placement test, student eligibility within 10 days of enrollment and attendance;
- Annually assess, by means of the state-approved test, improvement in language proficiency for each eligible English Language Learner;
- Provide inservice professional development training for administrators, teachers, counselors, and other staff who are involved in the district’s transitional bilingual program appropriate use of instructional strategies and assessment results and instructional materials for use with culturally and linguistically diverse students; and
- Provide for continuous improvement and evaluation of the district’s Program to determine is effectiveness.
For purposes of providing such services, the superintendent shall establish procedures for implementing the district's Transitional Bilingual Instruction Program.