Strong kids begin with strong minds. That's why Jordan McClellion at Juanita Elementary is nurturing her students to see the best in themselves through the "affirmation mirror" station.
State Education Agency Relations
Local boards of education and public schools are instruments of the state and, by state law, members of boards of education and school administrators are officers of the state as well as of the local school districts which they serve.
The relationship of the Lake Washington Board of Directors with the state of Washington are many and varied. The following listing includes, but is not limited to, some of the major areas of the state-local school relationships:
- State regulation of school organizational structure, plant and activities through state constitutional provisions, state school laws, general state laws which have some bearing on school matters and school rules and regulations promulgated at the state level which have the force of law. This includes safety, fire, engineering, health, and traffic codes which relate to schools in any way.
- Control, advisory, or consultative functions exercised by the State Board of Education, State Department of Education, and the State Superintendent of Public Instruction.
- State certification of teachers and of educational institutions.
- State financial support and control through allocation from state tax funds.
- Record keeping and reporting, financial, child accounting according to state requirements.
- State and federal school aid programs administered or coordinated through state agencies.
- Indirect state and local relationships mediated through state universities and colleges.
Current practice codified 1988
WAC 392-109, generally