Lake Washington School District (LWSD) recognizes the importance of providing opportunities for students to meet with and learn from community members. There are three different mentoring opportunities available to correspond with mentor interests and availability.
Students who have nutritious food and appropriate physical activity are better prepared to learn. While student health and well being is a shared responsibility between schools and families, the school environment must be conducive to and promote learning. In order to ensure the learning environment supports students’ nutrition, physical fitness and well-being, and in order to promote family and community involvement to this end, the Superintendent shall:
- Ensure that district health and physical fitness curriculum is consistent with Washington State Health and Physical Education K-12 Learning Standards.
- Ensure that the offerings of the School Lunch and Breakfast Program comply with federal guidelines.
- Ensure that sale of foods during the school day comply with federal guidelines.
- Develop guidelines for foods provided (not sold) to students through classroom parties/school events, rewards, and/or incentives.
- Promote partnerships with parents and parent groups to support life long nutrition, physical fitness and wellness.
- Provide information and materials that promote healthy eating habits and appropriate physical activity.
- Promote appropriate physical activity for students by:
- Ensuring aerobic physical activity is part of physical education classes,
- Providing elementary school students with daily, supervised recess periods,
- Providing co-curricular physical activity and intramural programs, and
- Promoting the use of school facilities for physical activity programs offered by outside organizations.
PL 108-265, Section 204