Superintendent Dr. Jon Holmen welcomes preschool students to the 2020-21 school year
Withdrawal Prior to Graduation
The District strives to have all students graduate from high school prepared for college, the global workplace, and personal success. The District aims to provide the necessary supports and services to ensure each student understands his/her pathway to graduation.
In the event that a student, 16 or older is identified either by him or herself as a risk for school dropout, the school shall take the following action:
- The student’s counselor will ensure a meeting with the student is held to discuss:
- The reason for desiring to withdraw from school
- The student’s future plans
- The supports and services available at the school and community for the student
- The counselor and the student's teachers shall meet to discuss:
- The student's present status
- Program modifications and/or options that will meet the student's present and future needs
- Required modifications to an existing 504 plan or obtaining of a 504 plan.
- The student, parent/guardian, counselor, and principal shall review all pertinent information and options available to the student and his/her parents/guardians.
District staff will make reasonable efforts to persuade the student to remain in school and complete graduation requirements. If unsuccessful, staff will attempt to find placement in an appropriate alternative educational setting.
Additionally, if District staff are not able to keep the student enrolled, the principal will determine if there is sufficient ground to excuse the student from continued compulsory attendance. The principal will recommend to the superintendent that the student be excused from further school attendance if there are sufficient grounds for excusal.
No student under the age of 18 will be permitted to withdraw unless he or she is lawfully and regularly employed and either a parent or guardian agrees that the student should not be required to attend school, or the student has been emancipated in accordance with Chapter 13.64 RCW. No student under the age of 16 will be permitted to withdraw from further school attendance unless another exception to compulsory attendance has been met.