COVID safety protocols led to a different looking Lake Washington School District (LWSD) Culinary Competition this year. The event took place virtually with students cooking from their own kitchens.
Students With Diabetes
It is the policy of the Lake Washington School District to accommodate students with diabetes in the school setting. The District Health Service Specialist appointed to each building shall:
- Consult and coordinate with the parents and health care providers of students with diabetes, and
- Train and supervise the appropriate staff in the general care of students with diabetes.
The District shall develop and follow an individual health plan (IHP) for each student with diabetes. Each IHP shall include an individual emergency plan. The health plans shall be updated annually, and more frequently as needed.
In addition to adhering to the requirements of each individual health care plan, for the general care of students with diabetes, the District shall:
- Acquire necessary parent requests and instructions for treatment;
- Acquire monitoring and treatment orders from licensed health care providers prescribing within the scope of their licensed authority;
- Provide sufficient and secure storage for medical equipment and medication provided by the parent;
- Permit students with diabetes to perform blood glucose tests, administer insulin, treat hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia, with easy access to the necessary supplies, equipment and medication necessary under their individual health care plan. This includes the option for students to carry the necessary supplies, equipment and medication on their person and perform monitoring and treatment functions wherever they are on school grounds or at school sponsored events;
- Permit students with diabetes unrestricted access to necessary food and water on schedule and as needed, and unrestricted access to bathroom facilities. When food is served at school events, provision shall be made for appropriate food to be available to students with diabetes.
School meals shall not be withheld from any student for disciplinary reasons. Students with diabetes shall not miss meals because they are not able to pay for them. The charge for the meal will be billed to the parent or adult student and collected consistent with District policies.
Guidelines for Care of Students with Diabetes, Washington State Task Force for Students with Diabetes, May 2005