Lake Washington School District has a strong and active middle school band program, with classes for everyone from beginners to students with years of experience.
Students are reminded that their appearance significantly affects the way others respond to them. Matters of dress remain the primary concern of students in consultation with their parents. Student dress shall not be regulated except when there is a reasonable expectation that;
- A health or safety hazard shall be presented by the student's dress or appearance,
- Damage to school property shall result from the student's dress, or
- The student's dress or appearance shall create material and substantial disruption of the educational process at the school.
In terms of this policy, disruption includes, but is not necessarily limited to:
- Student riotings, destruction of property, or
- Widespread shouting, or boisterous conduct, or
- Substantial student participation in a school boycott, sit-in, stand-in, walk-out, or
- Other related forms of activity.
The superintendent shall establish procedures for the monitoring of student dress in school or while engaging in extracurricular activities which shall be included in rules and regulations pertaining to student responsibilities.
Current practice codified 1988