When schools closed in March, the traditional end-of-year band concerts that showcase a year’s worth of practice and progress were effectively canceled. Rose Hill Middle School (RHMS) Band Instructor, Angela Laulainen got creative during the remote learning period and had her students record their parts at home.
Qualification of Attendance and Placement
Compulsory Attendance Ages
Any child eight years of age and under eighteen years of age shall attend the public school of the district in which he or she resides in accordance with RCW 28A.225.010 unless:
- The child is attending an approved private school or is enrolled in an extension program;
- The child is receiving home-based instruction;
- The child is attending an education center;
- The school district superintendent of the district in which the child resides shall have excused such child from attendance;
- The child is excused from school subject to approval by the student's parent for a reason of faith or conscience; or
- The child is sixteen years of age or older and:
- The child is regularly and lawfully employed and either the parent agrees that the child should not be required to attend school or the child is emancipated;
- The child has already met graduation requirements; or
- The child has received a certificate of educational competence.
Admission to School
All persons age 5 through 21 who reside within the boundaries of this school District may attend public schools without payment of tuition. In addition, persons who do not reside in the District may be admitted under district administrative policies relating to nonresident students or by specific action of the school board.
A resident parent or guardian of a student or someone acting on behalf of the parent or guardian or the student (if the student is over 18), may initiate the school enrollment process. A birth certificate or other proof of legal age, as well as documentation verifying proof of District residency, will be required by the school administration to complete the enrollment process. The District does not inquire into a student’s citizenship or immigration status or that of his/her parents or guardians.
Under Washington State law, all students entering school for the first time are required to present certification from a licensed physician or an authorized representative of the Washington State Department of Health stating that the child has received immunizations against communicable diseases in accordance with state law, District policy 3413, District procedure 3413P, and the Washington State Department of Health. A student shall be exempted from this requirement as allowed for by RCW 28A.210.090.
Under Washington State law, all students entering school for the first time are required to present certification from a licensed physician or an authorized representative of the Washington State Department of Health stating that the child has received immunizations against communicable diseases in accordance with state law, District policy 3413, District procedure 3413P, and the Washington State Department of Health as specified by the department of health. A student shall be exempted from this requirement as allowed for by RCW 28A.210.090.
Admission of Students Aged Twenty-One and Older:
A student aged 21 or older may enroll in a school in the district under the following conditions:
- There is available space in the school and program which the students shall attend,
- Tuition is prepaid,
- The student provides his/her own transportation,
- The student resides in the state of Washington, and,
- In the judgment of the superintendent, no adult education program is available at reasonable costs and the district's program is appropriate to the needs of the student.