COVID safety protocols led to a different looking Lake Washington School District (LWSD) Culinary Competition this year. The event took place virtually with students cooking from their own kitchens.
Procedure Student Incentives
Gifts to Students
Students should not receive gifts as a reward or recognition for any school related activity except under one or more of the following conditions:
- The principal has approved the award.
- The award is an authorized presentation of the school or the school district for outstanding achievement.
- The award is a scholarship presented by an outside organization through the cooperation of the school district.
- The award is under the auspices of the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association.
Noncompliance with the above rules may endanger the amateur standing of a student and make him ineligible for interscholastic competition.
Awards for Achievement
Awards may be given to students for achievement in academic and activity pursuits. Standards and procedure for granting such awards shall be developed by each school and must comply with policies, regulations, and procedures established by state statute and the school board.
The associate superintendent or designee shall approve all contests for students in which the district may participate. The following guidelines are to be used in approving any contest.
Contests should be:
- Supplemental to the school program,
- Beneficial to youth in educational, civic, social, and cultural development,
- Dependent solely upon the talents and efforts of the individual student participant,
- Free of any commercial or sectarian influence,
- Free of discrimination because of race, color, or creed, handicapped affirmation action statement.