What’s better than one Artz sister winning a silver medal? Two Artz sisters winning silver medals. Lily Artz, Finn Hill Middle School seventh grader, and Emma Artz, Juanita High School senior, each took home second place at the recent USA Cycling National Championships in Winter Park, Colo.
Procedure Rights and Responsibilities
Rights, Responsibilities, and Authority of Certificated Staff
Certificated staff shall share responsibility for supervising the behavior of students and for maintaining the standards of conduct which have been established.
Certificated staff shall have the right to:
- Expect students to comply with school rules.
- Develop and/or review building rules relating to student conduct and control at least once each year. Building rules shall be consistent with district rules relating to student conduct and control.
- Exclude a student from class for all or any portion of the period or for the balance of the school day and up to the following two days, or until the teacher has conferred with the principal, whichever occurs first. Except in emergency circumstances, the teacher shall have attempted one or more corrective actions prior to excluding a student. In no case shall an excluded student be returned for the balance of a period without the consent of the teacher.
- Receive any complaint or grievance regarding corrective action or punishment of students. They shall be given the opportunity to present their version of the incident and to meet with the complaining party in the event that a conference is arranged.
Certificated staff shall have the responsibility to:
- (Principals shall) Distribute to students, parents, and staff a publication defining the rights, responsibilities and corrective action or punishment relating to student behavior.
- Observe the rights of students.
- Enforce the rules of student conduct fairly, consistently, and without discrimination. Any infractions shall be reported orally and in writing to the principal as soon as possible regardless of any corrective actions taken by the teacher.
- Maintain good order in the classroom, in the hallways, and on the playgrounds or other common areas of the school, or while riding on school buses (field trip).
- Maintain accurate attendance records and report all cases of truancy.
- Set an appropriate example of personal conduct and avoid statements which may be demeaning or personally offensive to any student or group of students.
- (Principals shall) Notify parents when students are suspended or expelled.
- Meet with a parent(s) within five (5) school days upon request to hear a complaint regarding the use of classroom materials and/or teaching strategies that are being employed in the classroom.
Certificated staff shall have the authority to:
- Use such reasonable action as is necessary to protect himself/herself, a student, or others from physical abuse or injury.
- Remove a student from a class session for sufficient cause.
- Detain a student after school with due consideration for bus transportation.
- Principals shall impose suspension or expulsion when appropriate.
20 U.S.C. 1232h (Hatch Amendment)
34 CFR Parts 75, 76, and 98 (1984)