COVID safety protocols led to a different looking Lake Washington School District (LWSD) Culinary Competition this year. The event took place virtually with students cooking from their own kitchens.
Procedure Removal-Release of Student During School Hours
District staff are responsible to ensure the proper and safe release of a student during school hours. By releasing a student from school, District staff have assured the individual removing the student from school has the authority to do so. Anyone removing a student from school should be prepared to demonstrate appropriate identification to ensure compliance with the procedures for removing a student from school. The removal of a student from school during the school day may be authorized in accordance with the following procedures:
- A student will be released to the residential parent or the nonresidential parent, unless the residential parent provides the school with a certified copy of a court order restricting and/or prohibiting the student’s contact with the nonresidential parent. Parents (or guardians) have the burden of furnishing schools with accurate, up-to-date information regarding custodial rights;
- A student will be released to emergency contacts that are on record with the school and previously identified by the parent or guardian having legal custody over the student.
- Law enforcement officers, upon proper identification, may remove a student from school without a warrant provided that the law enforcement officer signs a statement that he/she is removing the student from the school. Residential parents/guardians should be contacted as soon as possible when a student is taken into custody;
- Any other agencies seeking to remove a student from school must have a written administrative or court order directing the school district to give custody to them. Proper identification must be verified by the District before the student will be released;
- Prior written authorization from the residential parent or guardian having legal custody of the student is required before releasing a student into someone else's custody;
- School personnel, unless authorized by law, contract, or previously gained permission by a parent or guardian having legal custody, shall not remove a student from school grounds during school hours;
- A secondary student, with prior parent/guardian permission, may be released during school hours without being accompanied by an adult.
Students may not be released while schools are in active lockdown or during preparations for emergency reunification.