Schools will be designated as opened or closed to variance applications based upon space available (determined by enrollment capacity which includes enrollment projections and staffing projections) prior to the Open Enrollment Period. Variances are accepted based on a space availability. Choice Schools are not subject to policy 3131 or procedure 3131P.
Priority Order of Variance Approval
The District has a priority process for accepting variances when an open school/grade level receives more requests, during the Open Enrollment period, than the specific number of available spaces at that school. Priority will be granted in the following order:
- Students with a concurrently enrolled sibling at the requested school
- Students who have attended a school which feeds into the requested school (i.e. split feeder; District program; previously approved variance)
- All remaining variance requests
If at any of the priority levels, requests exceed places available, a lottery will be conducted.
No variances will be accepted for the following school year prior to the designated Open Enrollment period.
All requests for variances must have the written approval of the parent or guardian.
Closed School Reconsideration
A parent or guardian may appeal a denial of a variance. Final appeal is to the District Director who administers the Variance process. Special consideration will be given if a sibling would concurrently attend the requested school.
Staff residing outside of the district attendance boundary
In accordance with RCW 28A.225.270, a District shall permit the children of “full-time certificated and classified school employees” to enroll at:
- The school to which the employee is assigned;
- A school forming the District's K through 12 continuum which includes the school to which the employee is assigned; or
- A school in the District that provides early intervention services pursuant to RCW 28A.155.065 or preschool services pursuant to RCW 28A.155.070, if the student is eligible for such services.
Definition of full-time staff
For the purposes of this section, "full-time certificated and classified employees" means employees who are employed for the full number of hours and days for their job description.
Paperwork required of Staff
For district staff whose children attend Lake Washington School District schools based on RCW 28A.225.270 or through an attendance variance must complete the requisite paperwork. Full time staff that reside in a district other than LWSD, must complete and submit a Choice Transfer application (inter-district transfer) which is initiated at the student’s resident district. Full time staff residing within the District attendance boundary shall also be permitted to avail themselves to this provision. These staff must complete and submit an In-District Variance Request Form.
In all cases where a Choice Transfer or In-District Variance is approved, transportation to and from school becomes the responsibility of the parent or guardian.