Lake Washington School District’s Bus Drivers Association collected 884 toys on December 2 for their “Stuff the Bus” event.
Student Learning Environment
Policy code: EL-6
With respect to treatment of students, the CEO shall ensure all conditions, procedures, actions, and decisions are in place which are safe, lawful, ethical, respectful, and in compliance with Board policies.
The CEO shall also establish and adopt administrative policy on student discipline which maintains a learning environment that is safe, conducive to effective learning, and free from unnecessary disruption.
Accordingly, the CEO shall:
- Consider a reasonable balance between the instructional needs and the extracurricular obligations of students.
- Consider instructional continuity.
- Assure the instructional time provided for students during the academic day is not interrupted by unnecessary intrusions or the scheduling of activities that can be scheduled during other times.
- Assure that any behaviors, actions, or attitudes by adults who have contact with students does not hinder the academic performance of students.
- Adopt an administrative policy on conduct and discipline which:
- Prohibits the use of drugs, alcohol, or tobacco products by students or adults on school property and at school-sponsored events;
- Prohibits the presence of firearms or other dangerous weapons on school property and at school-sponsored events;
- Prohibits any form of violence on school property and at school-sponsored events;
- Provides for the discipline of special education students consistent with their Individual Education Plan;
- Establishes procedures for student interrogations, searches, and arrests;
- Establishes procedures to afford students, parents, and school personnel due process with regard to student conduct and discipline issues;
- Establishes procedures for written appeal to the Board from a decision to suspend or expel a student;
- Provides for administration of appropriate discipline of students deemed to be habitually disruptive;
- Establishes the district’s student attendance policy;
- Prohibits unruly behaviors to disrupt learning;
- Prohibits bullying or other types of intimidation;
- Prohibits the administration of corporal punishment.
- Appropriately involve teachers, administrators, students, and the community in developing administrative student discipline policy.
- Arrange to distribute and review annually a student handbook which outlines the conduct and discipline policy to each enrolled student and to each new student in the district.
- Distribute to each student copies of any significant changes in the handbook.
- Ensure that a copy of the district policies, and any significant changes, are posted or available for inspection in each school building and on the website.
- Ensure that the policies are enforced consistently and with reasonable judgment.
- Identify students at risk of suspension or expulsion and provide opportunities to help them avoid suspension or expulsion.
Monitoring Method: Internal Report
Monitoring Frequency: Annually
Lake Washington School District Board of Directors