Lake Washington School District’s Bus Drivers Association collected 884 toys on December 2 for their “Stuff the Bus” event.
Security Camera Systems
Signage and Notification
Signage will be posted at major public entrances to school or district buildings that notify students, staff, and the general public of the district’s use of security cameras. Students and staff will receive additional notification annually regarding the use of security cameras in schools and on district property.
- Security cameras will be installed in public areas only. These areas may include but are not limited to: entrances or exits to buildings, grounds, athletic areas, and large gathering spaces such as classroom corridors, cafeterias, and lobbies.
- Security cameras will not be placed in areas where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy such as: restrooms, changing rooms, nurse’s offices, and locker rooms.
- No security cameras will be installed or used in any classroom without the express knowledge and permission of district personnel as specified in the district’s collective bargaining agreements.
Video Monitoring, Viewing, and Recording
- The security camera system may be in operation and may be monitored by authorized district personnel or authorized individuals.
- Real-time security camera footage may be viewed by authorized district personnel or authorized individuals.
- Video recordings shall be viewed only by authorized personnel or authorized individuals in a setting that ensures controlled access and privacy from accidental public viewing. Authorized district personnel may use their discretion in allowing another person to view a recording if such viewing will aid in the conduct of an investigation.
- No sound (audio) will be monitored or recorded in connection with the security camera system.
Data Storage and Sharing
- All video recordings are stored electronically. Recordings will be saved for up to 30 days and then appropriately deleted unless a specific recording is part of a school, district, or law enforcement investigation.
- Authorized district personnel or authorized individuals may use information obtained through security cameras for school or district investigations, school security, or law enforcement purposes.
- Security camera video recordings are the sole property of the district. Release of such videos will occur only pursuant to applicable policy or laws.
- Security camera video recordings are considered a public record and are not considered educational records under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Video recordings will be stored in a manner that will prevent tampering. Authorized district personnel or authorized individuals will not alter, tamper, or delete recordings in a manner inconsistent with this policy.
- In the event of a crisis, live security camera footage may be viewed by law enforcement.
- In the event of a request by law enforcement, the district will provide requested recordings pursuant to applicable laws.
No Guarantee of Recording, Monitoring, or Quality
By this policy, the district does not guarantee that every school or district interior, parking lot, general grounds, or building will be equipped with a security camera, the security camera in a specific area will be in operation or monitored at a specific time, or a security camera will record specific conduct or expression, or security camera resolution will be sufficient to capture images with clarity in all circumstances.
WAC 296-800-110Employer Responsibilities: Safe Workplace
RCW 9.73.030Recording Private Communications/Consent/Exceptions