What does it feel like to have a disability? The Margaret Mead Elementary School PTSA wanted students to be able to empathize with their peers who face mobility, learning or other challenges. As part of Disability Awareness Month, they set up a Disability Awareness Fair with eight learning stations.
Retirement of Facilities
Closure of Facilities
The board has the authority to close a school building on a permanent or long-term basis when an unforeseen natural event or mechanical failure causes a facility to become unsafe, unhealthy, inaccessible, or inoperable.
Prior to the closure of a school facility for foreseen circumstances, the board shall have prepared a written analysis which considers the following issues:
- Projected or actual enrollment declines and the likelihood that they shall remain permanent,
- The effect that the disposition or retirement shall have on other facilities and on the district's educational program offering,
- Student and staff displacement, including transportation costs to new facilities and staff reassignment,
- Potential for renovation,
- Financial considerations in terms of such factors as staff costs, operating and maintenance cost, the potential revenue from sale or lease of property, the cost of closure and transferring operations elsewhere,
- Safety, health and fire regulations, and,
- Whether or not the facility may effectively be used for other purposes.
During a ninety-day period following the development of a written analysis, the board shall conduct one or more hearings to receive testimony on any issues related to the closure of a school. Each hearing notice shall be published once each week for two consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation which serves the area where the school is located. The last notice shall be published at least seven days prior to the hearing. The notice shall contain the date, time, place and purpose of the hearing.
Comments received from interested parties shall be used for advisory purposes only. The final determination of whether a facility shall be closed or remain open shall be made by the board.
Current practice codified 1988