The district, within its financial capacity, shall offer programs that are designed to meet the needs of educationally disadvantaged students. Eligible students may receive services from one of three special needs programs: special education, learning assistance (LAP) and Title 1 of the ECIA of 1981.
The district shall conduct a needs assessment and shall develop a plan for the use of LAP funds. Such a plan shall be determined in consultation with an advisory committee, including, but not limited to, parents of participants; teachers; principals; administrators; and school directors. The plan shall include:
- How students shall be identified,
- planned services and activities,
- a plan for annual evaluation (performance objectives), and,
- record-keeping procedure.
The plan shall be approved by the board prior to submission to the state.
In compliance with Chapter 1 regulations the district shall convene an annual public meeting for parents of children eligible for Chapter 1 assistance. At such meeting, parents shall be advised regarding:
- The objectives of the program,
- The teaching methods and materials that shall be used,
- The methods that are used to measure progress that is made,
- The methods that are used to report progress to students and their parents,
- The availability of staff to confer with parents, and,
- The role of parents in helping their children to achieve.
The superintendent is directed to identify eligible students and their special needs; design a program(s) that shall satisfy those needs by interfacing, when advantageous, Chapter 1 (ECIA), learning assistance (LAP), and special education services; monitor the progress of such programs; and provide assurances to state and federal agencies that such programs are in compliance with program requirements of each program with regard to conditions such as staff qualifications, staff-student ratios, student records, facilities and materials, financial accounting, reporting, and program and student evaluation.
Current practice codified 1988
Federal Register 200.53