As Earth Day approaches, Rose Hill Elementary staff, alumni and community members took a moment to honor a former teacher, who was also a strong advocate for protecting our environment. Cass Avery was a teacher at Rose Hill Elementary for over 10 years.
Regular Board Meetings/Special Board Meetings/Executive Sessions/Study Sessions
Policy code: GP-2-E3
The Board of Directors shall meet in the Board Room of the district's administration center as determined by the Board-approved annual calendar.
Any schedule changes will be announced on the district website and through notification of local media.
- An emergency exists and it is unsafe to meet in the place designated;
- It is to be held at another location: notice of such change of location shall be made according to law and policy pertaining to special meetings. Regular meetings are open to the public; or
- Board quorum cannot be met.
A majority of the Board of Directors or its presiding officer may call a special meeting for any time and at any place by following legal requirements for notice. Final disposition shall be limited to the business stated in the notice. Notices of a special meeting may be dispensed with if it has been called to deal with an emergency involving injury or damage to persons or property or the likelihood of such injury or damage, when time requirements of such notice would make notice impractical and increase the likelihood of such injury or damage. Special meetings are open to the public.
The Board of Directors may adjourn any regular, adjourned regular, special, or adjourned special meeting to a time and place specified in the order of adjournment or at the time and place of regular meetings, with notice given as required by law. An adjourned meeting shall become a regular or special meeting depending upon its original purpose. Adjourned regular and adjourned special meetings are open to the public.
- Executive Sessions
The Board of Directors may hold executive sessions during a regular or special meeting for any of the following reasons:
- National security;
- Selection of a site or the acquisition of real estate by lease or purchase or minimum price at which real estate would be offered for sale or lease, when the board determines publicity regarding such consideration would cause a likelihood of increased/decreased price;
- To evaluate the qualifications of an applicant for public employment or to review the performance of a public employee;
- Hearing complaints or charges brought against such officer or employee by another public officer, person, or employee unless such officer or employee requests a public hearing;
- Conferring with legal counsel to discuss pending or contemplated litigation, settlement offers, or matters of a similarly sensitive nature;
- Planning or adopting the strategy or position to be taken during the course of collective bargaining negotiations, grievance or mediation proceedings, or reviewing the proposals made in such negotiations or proceedings while in progress.
- Other reasons as allowed by law.
- Study Sessions
The board will meet in study sessions as determined by the Board approved annual calendar. No board vote will be taken at these meetings. Any schedule changes will be announced on the district website and through notification of local media.
Study sessions provide the board an opportunity to study topics in-depth.
Study sessions may also be used as an opportunity to meet with selected groups and persons whose insights and opinions will be helpful to the Board. These meetings will be called linkage sessions.
Quasi-judicial hearings required by statute or Washington Administrative Code to be held by the board to consider such matters as the discharge or non-renewal of an employee or expulsion or suspension of a student are not special or regular meetings within the meaning of this policy. All such hearings shall be conducted in the manner and upon such notice as provided by statute or rule and may be closed to the public if requested by the affected employee or student.
Lake Washington School District Board of Directors