Policy code: GP-4
The President of the Board ensures the integrity of the Board’s processes and normally serves as the Board’s official spokesperson. Accordingly, the President has the following authority and duties:
- Monitor Board behavior to ensure that it is consistent with its own rules and policies and those legitimately imposed upon it from outside the organization.
- Conduct and monitor Board meeting deliberations to ensure that Board discussion is focused on board issues, as defined in Board policy, (see GP-3);
- Ensure that Board meeting deliberations are fair, open, and thorough, but also efficient, timely, orderly and to the point;
- Chair Board meetings with all the commonly accepted power of that position as described in Robert’s Rules of Order;
- Conduct timely board meeting debriefings and periodic self-assessments to ensure process improvement.
- Make all interpretive decisions that fall within the topics covered by Board policies on Governance Process and Board/CEO Relationship, except where the Board specifically delegates such authority to others, using any reasonable interpretation of the provisions in those policies.
- Refrain from making any interpretive decisions about policies created by the Board in the Ends and Executive Limitations policy areas;
- Refrain from exercising any authority as an individual to supervise or direct the CEO.
- Assure that all members of the board are informed about matters of concern to the full board.
- Facilitate and summarize the evaluation of the CEO.
- Represent the Board to outside parties in announcing Board-stated positions and in stating decisions and interpretations within the areas assigned to the President, delegating this authority to other Board members when appropriate, but remaining accountable for its use.
- Sign all contracts authorized by the Board.
- In concert with the CEO, plan proposed board meeting agendas.
- With Board concurrence, contact the district's attorney as needed regarding negotiation of the Superintendent's contract.
In the absence or inability of the President, the Vice President shall have all of the powers and duties of the President.
Monitoring Method: Board self-assessment
Monitoring Frequency: Annually
Lake Washington School District Board of Directors