COVID safety protocols led to a different looking Lake Washington School District (LWSD) Culinary Competition this year. The event took place virtually with students cooking from their own kitchens.
Procedure Staff Vacations
- Twelve month certificated administrators - an employee group com- posed of certificated administrators on a twelve month contract.
- Classified professional technical employees - a salaried classified employee group composed of persons who are executives, administrators, professionals or who hold managerial, supervisor or specialized positions.
- Eligibility year - the fiscal school year as determined by statute.
- Vacation Award
- Twelve month certificated administrators - twenty-two (22) days annual vacation.
- Classified professional technical employees - twenty-two (22) days annual vacation.
- Vacation awards shall be prorated for persons who have less than a twelve month assignment, who are employed during an eligibility year or who leave the employment of the district prior to the last day of the fiscal year.
- Scheduling Vacation Periods
- Vacation periods must be scheduled in advance and must have written approval of the employee's immediate supervisor.
- Insofar as it is consistent with this policy, vacation requests will be honored as submitted. However, the need for an employee's services at any particular time and the impact of his/her absence on the district's programs shall be the overriding concern when considering approval of vacation requests.
- Vacation shall be scheduled in increments of not less than one-half (1/2) day.
- There shall be no deduction from an employee's vacation account should the following events or activities occur during an authorized vacation period.
- Legal holidays.
- A weekend day.
- Authorized absences for approved professional commitments.
- Time periods which would otherwise be compensated under district policies pertaining to sick leave, bereavement leave, subpoena or jury leave, emergency leave, and military leave.
- Approved pursuit of district interests.
- Pay in lieu of vacation taken as time off is contrary to the intent of this policy and such payment may only be granted in the following circumstances:
- When an employee is prevented from taking earned vacation during an eligibility year by reason of a sustained workload as determined by the superintendent.
- Accumulation - Limitations and Conditions
Following the date of the adoption of this revised regulation, annual vacation days shall not accumulate and be carried forward from one school year to the next except as follows:
- An employee who, upon the written request of his/her or her immediate supervisor as approved in writing by the superintendent, remains on active duty in the interest of the school district for part of the entitled vacation time, shall be allowed to accumulate and carry forward up to 11 days of unused vacation into the following year.
- At no time may accumulated vacation exceed 33 days inclusive of the present year.
- If the superintendent determines that the services of a given employee are required in excess of the limitations stated in IV (A) and IV (B), such employees shall be reimbursed at his/her daily rate. Payment for these services shall be based upon the appropriate existing salary schedule and paid in full no later than the last day of the fiscal year.
- An employee who resigns or retires from the school district shall be entitled to terminal leave pay for any unused vacation accumulated pursuant to the terms of this policy.
- Vacation for the present school year shall be prorated for an employee who resigns or retires from the school district before the last day of the fiscal year.
- Submit vacation requests as early as possible.
- Make every effort to use vacation awards as time off with pay.
- Approve or disapprove vacation requests giving consideration to the employees' desires and the needs of the district.
- Become knowledgeable about this regulation and advise employees as to their benefits.
- Encourage employees to use vacation awards as time off with pay.
- Adjudicate disputes on vacation requests.
- Monitor vacation accrual and use to insure proper administration within the intent of this procedure.
- Personnel Department
- Provide interpretation of regulation and advise in its proper use.
- Periodically revise this procedure to maintain it as useful and current.
- Business Department
- Make vacation payments and maintain account balances in accordance with the provisions of this regulation.
- Provide employees with a vacation balance report monthly.
- Provide final authority on the interpretation and application of this regulation.