As Earth Day approaches, Rose Hill Elementary staff, alumni and community members took a moment to honor a former teacher, who was also a strong advocate for protecting our environment. Cass Avery was a teacher at Rose Hill Elementary for over 10 years.
Parents' Rights and Responsibilities
The Lake Washington schools shall strive to:
- Recognize the principle that every child's education in this district is a shared responsibility among educators, parents, and students.
- Honor the special prerogatives of parents.
- Stress the special responsibilities of parents.
Parents have rights including but not limited to the following:
- To be met with respect by all school personnel.
- To be free from discrimination by reason of race, creed, color, marital status, sex, age, national origin, handicap, membership, or nonmembership in organizations.
- To be informed of rules that students are expected to follow.
- To expect due process shall be observed in matters of discipline.
- To be informed of alternative programs which are available.
- To be informed of the procedure for scheduling a conference and getting a student progress report.
- To review all written records of their child unless the student is 18 years of age or older and is not considered to be a dependent of the parent.
- To expect school staff to recognize the importance of parental involvement in decisions related to the education or welfare of their children.
- To receive information regarding graduation requirements and post high school opportunities prior to ninth grade registration or at the time of a later enrollment.
- To schedule visits to schools and classes through a contact with a teacher, counselor, or building administrator.
- To enroll a child in a school other than the one in his/her home attendance area by using the district open boundary procedures.
- To request placement of a child in a class.
- To initiate a grievance against a staff member using the appropriate procedures and forms.
- To to review materials and state an objection to same using the appropriate procedures and forms.
- To be actively involved in the decision-making processes related to the improvement of instruction.
Parents have responsibilities including but not limited to the following:
- To be aware of their student's progress based on the objectives of the subject area and school.
- To respond to reports from school concerning their children.
- To share the responsibility of their student's attendance with the school.
- To instill in their children respect for constituted authority.
- To instill in their children respect for public and private property and make restitution in situations where it is justifiable.
- To be responsible for and to cooperate with the school in the maintenance of their student's mental and physical health.