Would you wear a watch and slippers made from carbon dioxide emissions? Or brush your teeth using toothpaste made from CO₂? Before the pandemic, students at Evergreen Middle School were learning about real products that capture and store carbon dioxide that would otherwise go into the atmosphere.
Policy code: OGP-06
The Board will support newly-elected or appointed directors to understand the governing model, policies and procedures of the Board and Administrative Regulations of the District. To facilitate this process, new directors will be provided with:
- Information and training on Coherent Governance model
- Training on Open Government, as required by law
- Electronic access to:
- Board Policies and District Administrative Policies/Regulations;
- WSSDA publications (e.g., Open Public Meetings, Conflict of Interest, Parliamentary Procedure);
- Results for the District and strategic plan, if developed;
- Student rights, responsibilities, and conduct;
- District staff handbook;
- Collective bargaining agreements,
- District budget;
- Financial status reports (most recent copies);
- Board minutes (past year);
- Access to relevant district data; and
- Staff member job descriptions and staff organizational charts.
The Board president or a designee and the superintendent will assist each new director in the review of these materials and will review the role and function of the various administrators employed by the District, which shall include in person meetings with cabinet level staff members. The orientation should be completed within 90-days of being seated on the Board of Directors.
The orientation will include, as per District Regulation, how to:
- arrange for visits to schools and administrative offices,
- request information regarding school operations,
- respond to a complaint concerning staff or program, and
- handle confidential information.
Directors will be encouraged to attend meetings, workshops, and conferences to increase their knowledge and competencies.
Lake Washington School District Board of Directors