When schools closed in March, the traditional end-of-year band concerts that showcase a year’s worth of practice and progress were effectively canceled. Rose Hill Middle School (RHMS) Band Instructor, Angela Laulainen got creative during the remote learning period and had her students record their parts at home.
Procedure Naming Facilities and Mascots
The following procedures are to be followed in naming schools and selecting school mascots:
- Principal meets with prospective or current students of the school to explain criteria and procedure.
- Students nominate school names and mascots that meet specific guidelines.
- Committee of parents, staff, and students (if secondary) pare list down to 6-8 names that meet approved guidelines. If proposed name for school is that of a person, approval from the person's family/estate is sought.
- Names/mascots are presented to the Superintendent for evaluation and review.
- A ballot is developed based on the names/mascots approved by the Superintendent; each student shall receive one ballot. Ballots must be submitted by a specified due date in order to count.
- The naming committee counts ballots and determines winning name/mascot. If winning name is that of a person, the person's family/estate is contacted. The district must obtain written confirmation of permission to use a person's name.
- Name is presented to the Superintendent for approval.