Lake Washington School District’s Bus Drivers Association collected 884 toys on December 2 for their “Stuff the Bus” event.
Limited Open Forum
Lake Washington School District is considered to have a "Limited Open Forum" in its secondary schools because it allows the opportunity for non-curriculum related student groups to meet on school premises during noninstructional time. Noninstructional time is defined as time set aside by the school before actual classroom instruction begins or after actual classroom instruction ends. Time allowed for such meetings shall not exceed one hour and must be scheduled continuous to the school day when adult supervision is available. The "Limited Open Forum" concept is based on Public Law No. 88-377, "The Equal Access Act," effective August 11, 1985.
Students who wish to conduct a meeting at the secondary schools within the established guidelines of "Limited Open Forum" may do so providing that:
- They are enrolled as students at the school where the meeting is to be held;
- The meeting is voluntary and student-initiated,
- There is no sponsorship of the meeting by the school, the government, or its agents or employees,
- Employees or agents of the school or government are present at religious meetings only in a non-participatory capacity,
- The meeting does not materially and substantially interfere with the orderly conduct of educational activities within the school, and,
- Non-school persons may not direct, conduct, control, or regularly attend activities of student groups.
Further guidelines associated with the "Limited Open Forum" include:
- Groups shall be responsible for maintaining proper conduct and order at all meetings,
- Groups shall be held responsible for the loss or damage of any room(s), supplies, or equipment,
- Groups shall be assigned a specific location, day(s) and time(s) for their "Limited Open Forum" by the principal or his/her designee,
- Groups may publicize their meetings on the student bulletin board with approval of the principal.
The school shall provide:
- Heat and lights, and,
- Personnel to lock and unlock the room each day before and after the scheduled meeting time.
Public Law No. 98-377, August 11, 1984
Community Use of School Facilities (KG)