During its July 13 School Board Meeting, Lake Washington School District Superintendent, Dr. Jon Holmen, removed “Rebels” as the Juanita High School mascot. Dr. Matt Livingston, Director of Secondary Education and Juanita High School Principal, Kelly Clapp, will now begin the process outlined in Policy 6970 to select a new mascot.
Procedure Certificate of Educational Competency
The Lake Washington School District shall cooperate with the Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges in administration of the High School Equivalency Certificate.
According to Washington State law, the following individuals are eligible to take the High School Equivalency (GED®) test (WAC 13148-100):
- Any person age 16 through 18 of age who has not graduated from high school, is not enrolled in a public or private high school program, and who has been adjudged by a Washington State school district to have a substantial and warranted reason for leaving the regular high school education program. A “Request for Approval to Test” form must be signed by either the last Washington school district the applicant attended or the Washington school district in which the applicant currently resides and provided to the test center prior to testing; or
- Any person age 16 through 18 years of age who has completed a program of home-based instruction in compliance with RCW 28A.225.010 (4) as certified by the “written and notarized statement” of the parent(s) or guardian(s) who provided the home-based instruction.
- Any person 19 years or older who has not graduated from high school and is not enrolled in a public or private high school program.
- Any person who is an active member of the military, national guard, or reserves.
- Adjudicated youth under the director of prisons, jails, detention centers, parole and probation offices, or other corrections facilities while enrolled in school or ordered by a court of officer of the court.
These individuals must be a resident of Washington State at the time of testing to be awarded a High School Equivalency (GED®) Certificate in this state (WAC 13148110).
To make a determination concerning an applicant’s substantial and warranted reason for leaving the regular high school educational program in cases where the applicant is under 19 years of age. Such determination shall be based upon one or more of the following causes:
- Personal problems which seriously impair the student’s ability to make reasonable progress toward high school graduation.
- A financial crisis which directly affects the student and necessitates the student’s employment during school hours.
- The lack of curriculum and instruction which constitute appropriate learning experiences for the student; and
- The inability or failure of the school of attendance to adjust its program for the individual, or otherwise make arrangements for enrollment in a program, in a manner which enables the student to advance toward graduation with reasonable progress and success.