When schools closed in March, the traditional end-of-year band concerts that showcase a year’s worth of practice and progress were effectively canceled. Rose Hill Middle School (RHMS) Band Instructor, Angela Laulainen got creative during the remote learning period and had her students record their parts at home.
Procedure Accountability Goals
In order to assure continuing compliance with the state minimum requirements for the teaching of basic skills, work skills, and for total instructional hours:
- Each secondary building principal will:
- Analyze the proposed course schedule prior to each semester to assure compliance with the Washington Administrative Code requirements of for basic skills, work skills, and total hours of instructional offering.
- Review any change in the schedule to assure continued compliance.
- Retain as a permanent record the final printed schedule of course offerings to verify compliance with the requirements for both the mix of work skills and basic skills instruction and the total hours of instruction made available.
- Maintain a record of temporary deviations from the regular schedule, such as assemblies, in order to monitor the continued compliance with the percentage requirements for work skills, basic skills, and other instructional activities.
- At the beginning of each semester submit to the superintendent or designee, a copy of the final printed schedule of course offerings and a signed statement verifying compliance with the state requirements of for basic skills, work skills, and total hours of instructional offering.
- Each elementary building principal will:
- Maintain a record of the total hours of instruction scheduled for each elementary grade. The record shall identify any instructional activities that do not constitute basic skills.
- Insure that the total instructional time made available to students meets the minimums required and that 95 percent of the instructional program in grades one through three and 90 percent of the instructional program in grades four through six are in the basic skills.
- At the beginning of each year submit to the superintendent or designee, a signed statement verifying compliance with the state requirements of for basic skills and total hours of instructional offering.
- Any program changes or modifications which change hours shall be reported immediately to the superintendent or designee.