For the fifth year in a row, the College Board named Lake Washington School District (LWSD) to its Annual AP District Honor Roll. LWSD is one of only 373 public school districts in the United States and Canada and one of four in Washington state to be honored. Lake Washington is one of two districts in the state to be a multi-year recipient of the AP Honor Roll Award.
Food Services Management
The primary goal of the Lake Washington food services program is to provide the students with nutritious, safe, appetizing food. To meet this goal it shall be necessary:
- To provide a diversified food services program which meets the individual psychological and physical needs of the school lunch customer.
- To reinforce nutrition education in the classroom and encourage the use of the food services program as an educational tool in foods and nutrition.
- To practice a flexible policy and procedure which adapts to the unique needs of individual building programs.
- To provide food services to students and faculty at reasonable prices.
- To provide a quality food service program that operates within the dictates of sound financial management practices to obtain break even financial results.
- To aid the district in the design of kitchens preparation and serving areas.
- to provide "special meals" requested by school groups.
- To improve skills of food service staff through in-service training programs and workshops.
- To refine and improve methods and procedures of record keeping and file all necessary reports with SPI.
- To aid community groups renting kitchens with meal planning.
Other regulations specific to the food services program include the following:
- School personnel are not eligible to be served without cost.
- Kitchens may not be used without the approval of food services.
- A food services employee is required to be on duty when kitchen equipment is used for food preparation and service. The community group shall pay for the services of the kitchen employee plus the rental of the kitchen facility and cafeteria at current rates.
- Charging of purchases by a school lunch customer is not permitted.