Eleven student teams competed in the Investor Round of the 2019 LWSD Teen Startup Challenge event for a grand prize of $2500 and a spot on the stage at the Greater Kirkland Chamber’s Investor Sharks Northwest event this November.
Policy code: EL-13
The CEO shall assure the availability of an appropriate education environment within physical facilities that are safe, efficient, and properly maintained and that support the accomplishment of the board’s Ends policies.
Accordingly, the CEO shall:
- Develop a fiscally prudent; long-term facilities plan to establish priorities for construction, renovation and maintenance projects. In setting those priorities, the CEO shall:
- Assign highest priority to the correction of unsafe conditions.
- Include maintenance costs as necessary to enable facilities to reach their intended life cycles.
- Disclose assumptions on which the plan is developed, including growth patterns, and the financial and human capital impact individual projects will have on other parts of the organization.
- Ensure that facilities and equipment are not subject to improper wear and tear or insufficient maintenance.
- Secure board authorization before building or undertaking major renovation of buildings.
- Recommend land acquisition by first determining growth patterns, comparative costs, construction and transportation factors, and environmental factors.
- Acquire, encumber, or dispose of real property only with Board authorization.
- Prohibit construction schedules and change orders to deviate significantly from previously approved plans and budget parameters.
- Provide students and staff with an uncompromised and healthy environment.
- Permit the public’s use of facilities, as long as student functions and the academic program are not compromised. According, the CEO shall develop a plan for public use of buildings that includes:
- Definition of permitted uses;
- A fair and reasonable fee structure;
- Clear delineation of user expectations;
- Consequences and enforcement procedures for public users who fail to follow the established rules.
Monitoring Method: Internal Report
Monitoring Frequency: Annually
Lake Washington School District Board of Directors