District Choice Programs and Schools
The Lake Washington School District has a long-standing tradition of providing a continuum of educational program choices for students. As such, a number of “choice” programs and schools have been established. Most programs and schools are lottery based. Choice programs and schools shall:
- Be open to all students at the targeted grade level(s) and remain free from eligibility requirements. Some programs and schools may be established to be first open to students residing within a particular attendance boundary, learning community, or geographic area.
- Strive for diversity in the student body and staff. Through communication and outreach efforts, choice programs and schools will strive to promote their programs to a diverse demographic of students in terms of ethnicity, race, gender, ability, and socio-economic status.
- Be funded and staffed at comparable levels to other school programs at the same grade level(s).
- Be sited in each Learning Community in alignment with available space and the district’s long- term facilities plans.
- Be expanded on a space available basis as determined by the district.
Should the district determine that a new choice program or school be initiated, the interests of staff and parents will be gathered to help inform the focus of the program or school. When considering placement of new choice programs and schools, the district will strive to ensure equitable access to students from all regions through program location placement.